Cinnamon-Nutmeg flavored Spinach and Ricotta Gnocchi is my contribution to Sunita from "Sunita's World" blog's "Think Spice..Think.." event.This month's spice is "Cinnamon". Thanks for hosting Sunita!:)
These are two kinds of Cinnamon, curly one on the left has sweet aroma used in desserts and another flat kind is Cassia bark has spicy flavor used in most Asian cuisine.To read about the differences between these two, click here.
Spinach-Ricotta Gnocchis flavored with Cinnamon and Nutmeg, served with Marinara sauce:
This recipe is from an old "The Good Housekeeping" magazine, loved the taste and makes a substantial meal for the family. You can use any Spaghetti sauce you have at hand to serve with these with or you can make your own. Hope you try.
How to make them:
1 10oz pack of frozen chopped Spinach,
2 tbsp + 2 tbsp butter,
3/4 cup Ricotta cheese,
1 small onion, minced,
3/4 cup all purpose flour + 1/4 cup flour,
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese + 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese,
1/2 tsp Salt,
1/2 tsp freshly ground Pepper,
1/2 tsp Cinnamon,
1/4 tsp Nutmeg pd.
To make them:
1. Heat 2 tbsp butter in a pan, add minced onion, saute for a minute. Add in thawed, squeezed dry Spinach, ricotta, stir fry for 5 mins. Turn off the heat.
2. When cooled slightly, add eggs, 3/4 cup flour, 1/3 cup Parmesan, salt, pepper, cinnamon, Nutmeg pd,mix well. Cover and chill in the fridge for 1/2 an hour.
3. Fill a wide mouthed pan with water, bring it to a rolling boil. Sprinkle 1/4 cup flour on the counter. Take out the spinach bowl, with floured hands,make a make sized oval shape,coat them lightly with flour and keep them on a plate.Repeat.
4. Carefully add 6-7 Gnocchis into the boring water, cook them until they are puffed and they float on top of the water or about 6-7 mins. Take them out, drain on paper towel.Repeat with all others until done.
5. Heat 2 tbsp Butter in a non-stick pan, add all the cooled Gnocchis, stir them until they are slightly golden allover. Take them out on a plate, sprinkle 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese on top.
6. Serve with Marinara sauce sprinkled with some more Parmesan cheese!
5 Qs MeMe:
Raks from Rak's kitchen and Latha N from "The YUM blog" tagged me for the "5 questions" Meme, thanks to both of you. Here I go with my answers!!:)
1. How long have you been blogging?
Since June 2006 at FH and Jan 2007 at Aroma! That would be almost 1 1/2 years of non-stop blogging until recently!! Phew!!:D
2. What inspired you to start a blog and who are your mentors?
I chanced upon foodie blogs while surfing for some recipes one fine day. I was amazed to see there are blogs for cooking with step by step photos which made me deliriously happy!! That got me thinking that I should start my own as well.I pestered Arvind to get me started since I was not familiar at all with blogging at that time. so it started!!
No mentors as such but certainly love Sailu's blog. It's so wonderful to see so many traditional dishes over there with absolutely no frills attached! She inspires me.
3. Are you trying to make money online or are you doing it for fun?
Blogging is pure fun for me!!! Both my blogs are 100% "making money" free!!:D
4. What three things do you love about being online?
first, I love blogging and commenting although it does take considerable time out of my day, specially mornings!!
Secondly, I love the blog friends I have made over the years and love to be part of their blog lives and enjoy their culinary skills too.
Last but not least, love looking at the photos and reading about so many different cuisines around the World and absolutely fascinated by it all!
5. What three things do you struggle with online?
Time it takes to comment during weekdays in 60+blogs EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!
Although I say "no commenting on weekends" to myself, I can't stop myself checking in anyway if I have time during weekends!:P
Blogging is terribly addictive!! I would like to make some changes to my routine in 2008 and visit only my regular readers' blogs instead of blindly going to every blog which I have blog rolled since 2006 even though some almost never visit me!!:D
That's it!! I will refrain from tagging this time.If anybody would like take this up, you are most welcome!:))