May 18, 2007

QORMA WITH JICAMA! :)

Qorma is my contribution to Nupur from "One Hot Stove" blog's "A to Z Indian Vegetables"'s event.This week's letter "Q" which is pretty tough to come up with a Indian veg,but I made it with a Qorma instead! Thanks for hosting Nupur:)

Introducing Jicama:
I know it's nothing to do with Indian vegetable but just wanted to try the new veg in Indian Qorma!:))

Jicama is a popular vegetable in Latin America and are mainly grown in Mexico and Central America. They are also called the Mexican potato, Mexican yam bean, Chinese turnip,the Chinese potato etc.Jicama looks similar to a turnip or a large radish,does not discolor when exposed to the open air.,can be used raw in salads.Jicama is a very versatile vegetable that contains a high amount of vitamin C,is low in sodium, and has no fat. More info here.


Jicama is pronounced as "HI-KA-MAA" in Spanish! When Jicama is used in cooking it absorbs the flavors of the ingredients.Because of this quality,you can use this vegetable in any Stir-fry and spiced gravy with other vegetables too.It is crunchy,juicy and very tasty in any gravy based dishes,can be stored in the fridge for a while covered with plastic.So here it is, Qorma for "Q"!!;D


Jicama Qorma:

This is a Kurma,Kuruma,Korma or Qorma dish as some Muslim countries call it,goes very well with rice or Rotis.Most Indian Kurmas are made with yogurt or coconut sauce.Since Qorma in this recipe is Afghanistani,they mostly use yogurt as the base and add Nuts for more flavor.Either way,it tastes great.Enjoy!:))

How to make Qorma:

Peel and cube 1 large Jicama(or any veg you like),cook in the microwave for 10mins with enough water until somewhat soft.It will still be little crunchy when cooked.Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil/ghee,add 1 tsp cumin seeds,1 red dry chilly,1 onion finely minced,fry until little reddish.Put in 2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste,stir-fry.





Pour in 1/4 cup Yogurt or sour cream and stir until the sauce is thick on medium heat.After that,put in 2 tsp Coriander seeds pd,1 tsp Fennel seeds pd,1/4 tsp Cardamom pd,1/4 tsp Turmeric,1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli pd or paprika for color,1/2 tsp sugar and salt.Add the cooked Jicama with 1/2 to 1 cup of it's water,1/2 tsp garam masala,Cilantro.Cover and cook until oil shows up on top.



Note: Make the sauce thicker for Naans and Parathas/Rotis and thiner sauce for rice.Little Saffron mixed with milk and some Almond or Cashew paste can be added for an authentic rich Afghani Qorma for special Sunday lunch!I made it the easy and simple way skipping all that.If you don't want to use Jicama,you can use any vegetable or even meat you like with the same recipe.Hope you give it a try:)


Qorma with rice and a slice of Lemon:




That's all there is to it.Enjoy the fragrant Indian style Qorma:))

37 comments:

Deepak Gopi said...

I first thought that it is a potato.
I dont think it is available here.
@ deepak- you r absolutely right

FH said...

Hi Deepak,it looks like a huge Potato and tastes like Knolkol.It's a Mexican veggie.It's true it's not available in India,but in Indian Kurma,it does taste great.You can add any veg in this Kurma though:))

Richa said...

Qorma, that's a great entry asha!!
looks so yummy and as you rightly said we can make it with any veg, what's not to like about this wonderful gravy :o) love that fennel flavor in my veg.
have a great wknd dearie!

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Had never heard of this veggie before.... Will go looking for it now! Looks really good :)

FH said...

Richa,had to get that Q in there somehow girl!! ;D
It does great with Jicama or any other vegs.I love the fennel too,for aroma and taste.Have a fun weekend Rich:))

Hi Ramya,Jicama is Mexican and they keep it where they store Onions,Potatoes,look for it and try.It tastes crunchy,I like the taste.You know it's a great addition to Sagu with Poori!:))

Sharmi said...

hey very clever of you:)) LOL the name made me laugh. lovely entry and good info on JICAMA.

FH said...

Thank you,thanks you very much!!;D
Hey,I saw one "Quabouli" dish too Sharmi.Hope you try the Qorma!!:))
Don't firget my Foodies Hope blog Sharmi.Andhra Pradesh is on this week!

Kribha said...

Dear Asha,
Do they call kurma as Qorma in muslim countries? Never knew this before. Jicama is also new to me.
The picture looks good. Like many others I'm also going to start looking for it. will surely try it if I get it.
Oh...I forgot to mention one more thing. I tried your dill muffins and it came out great. I couldn't take a picture as my hubby's friends were making fun of me that I did not do the muffins for them, it was only for the blog. Just to make them stop teasing me I did not take a snap. will do another batch soon. Thanks for sharing.

FH said...

Kribha,yeah, they say Qha for everything we say Ka!!:D
Jicama is new veg for most us too.Great to hear about Muffins,glad it came out well. Don't listen to jokes they make,just blog girl!!Or take away all muffins from whoever makes jokes!!:))

bee said...

'Qorma' is the real authentic name, ash.

jicama is fab. love eating it raw in salads.

FH said...

Hi Bee.I know,I made sure of that.I googled Qorma and checked if it's a legitimate name!It is,Thank God!!:D
I love Jicama too,it's so crunchy.I have yet to try in salads though,I will. Have a great weekend Bee:)

Anh said...

Asha, I am a big fan of Jicama! My mom and I used to eat it raw in summer. I haven't tried to cook it yet. But will soon if I can source it here. :)

Deepa said...

wow!!! asha ji ...you are so simply super....no word to say ....I have really never heard of this veg before...great ....have a great weekend and see you on sunday

Roopa said...

Great idea Q for Qorma.... oh..hmm mixican veggie i heven't heard this either lets see i f i find it next time will give a try

FH said...

Hi Anh,I haven't used it raw,will try a salad.I like crunchiness of it,although it doesn't have a great flavor:)

Hi Deepa.I know Linda cooked it once,so I thought I will experiment:)) Tastes good,try it.

Hello,Jicama Geddekosu tara ruciyagirutte.Saagu madakke chennagutte,naanu madilla,madbeku.Try madi:)

Coffee said...

That sounds really delicious!!!! I must search for this thing! Never seen it here !

FH said...

Hello coffee darling,guess what am drinking in the morning now?!;D
I don't think you get Mexican veggie there but try.These strange looking veggies we get here are really tasty in Indian dishes.I tried Turnips,yummy.Try and get Jicama.Have a great weekend R, Hugs:))

USHA said...

Hi Ashaji,

Thats wonderful mixed cuisine of Mexi.Veg in Indian dish.As Deepak even i thought it should be potato first.

Another new veg intro for me from your post....I'm taking a break for short while.

FH said...

It's lillte crunchier than Potatoes,but tasty.Try it.
Take a break and enjoy.No worries,I will be here:))

Prema Sundar said...

I too thought it was potato Asha..Thanks for introducing this vegetable to us. Really clever and good thinking for the 'Q' entry. looks lovely.

Suganya said...

Hay I have never tried it...nice pictures..different recipe.... Surely will give it a try.

FH said...

Hi Prema,it's little taste than soft veggies we are used to,try it:))

Thank you Sukanya.Glad I tried and liked this veggie.I loved it.Hope you try:)

Kajal said...

Qorma,Wow..gr8 asha you have always new recipe in your blog with nice presentaion my dear. I am not seen this your Mexican veg....Thanks for sharing so many things.
Gud DAY.:)

FH said...

Thank you Kajal:))
Qorma is the same Korma we make but try the Jicama veg.It tastes great.Have a great Sunday too.

Aruna said...

Asha, Never have eaten jicama ? does it taste like potato ??? Nevertheless looks very appealing!!!

www.themistressofspices.wordpress.com

FH said...

Hi Aruna. No, it looks like potato but not soft when cooked but crunchy and juicy.Hope you try once,I think you will like it.It's new for us,worth a try:))

Bong Mom said...

I was waiting for your Q entry. Thats a lovely dish and that veggie is totally new.

Anonymous said...

So you could find a nice recipe with Q. Well never cooked Jicama..
after a good information about Jicama I think i should look for it next time shopping around

Dhana said...

ooh, i luv Jicama! The freshness of this vegetable cannot be beat. Great entry to Nupur's event!

FH said...

Hi Sandeepa, Q was tricky!Then Arab countries call everything with K as Q,so thank God for that!:D

Hello Sushma,try Jicama.It's pretty tasty but different from what we are used to:))

Hi Dhana,thanks.Good to see you here.You know Jicama already but probably not cooked in Kurma,right? Try it.
My main blog is Foodies Hope,hope you know:))

Sia said...

wow...never heard of jicama ashakka... looks like potato... very cleaver dish with Q;) guess u have high IQ also:)
sorry, couldn't come before n check ur blog. was not keeping well for the past 4 days. i took off for 2 days from work and was on high dose of antibiotic... back in office now and have got too much of workload. so planning to cutdown visiting blogs during weekdays:(

FH said...

Hi Sia,so sorry to hear that you are not well.Take it easy,you can visit us in the weekend when you are little bit free.Take care.
Jicama is Mexican so you might not be easy to get there.
IQ; Yeah, I was tested in non-verbal IQ test in college and I am above average. Seriously!I am a Psychology graduate!:D
I made two Jackfruit dish for Wednesday and I know you will LOVE them!!;D
Take care Sups,everybody seems to be having cold these days.Hugs.

TheCooker said...

Love jicama in salads. Never cooked it though. The Qorma looks appetising.
Does cooked jicama loose most of the crunch?

FH said...

Hi TC,no it doesn't lose the crunch that much even after cooked.It's strange but tastes great!!:D

Suma Gandlur said...

I bet this one is delicious. Your recipe works for any other veggie. I have never tried to buy jicama, may be because of it's appearance. If it tastes lke knolkol, I should give it a try. Knolkol is one of my favorite veggie.

FH said...

Hi Suma,Jicama crunchy.I think it's great in Sagus and Pulaos.Get a small one and see if you like:))

Dr. Soorya said...

Does anyone know the Hindi name for Jicama, if there is one, and can it be bought anywhere in India?
It is also known as yam bean.