January 7, 2008

MW THATTE IDLI, BUTTERNUT SQUASH STIR-FRY AND CILANTRO CHUTNEY



Microwaved Plate Idlis
are my entry to "Easy cooking with Microwave" which is hosted by Srivalli of "Cooking 4 all seasons" with a theme of "Tiffins" this month. Thanks Sri!:)




I am sending Butternut Squash Stir-fry to Marta from "an Italian in the US" blog for her "Fresh produce of the Month" event. She has chosen "Squash" this month. Thanks Marta, enjoy!:)


Idlis are the quintessential breakfast or tiffin dish for most South Indians. We usually steam these in Idli stand or Thatte Idli stand inside the pressure. For a faster way, I cook them in the microwave one at a time. They come out quite well for folks in a hurry but of course not as soft as the regular steamed ones. Try it out and see if you like it. Cooking time varies depending on the power of your microwave, experiment. I like the convenience and ease of microwaving these. Enjoy!:)

Thatte(Plate) Idlis with Butternut squash stir-fry and Cilantro chutney:



To make the usual Idli batter:
Soak 1 1/2 cups Long grain rice,1/2 cup Converted rice(par-boiled rice) in a bowl with lots of water.In another bowl,soak 3/4 cup Urad dal,1 tbsp Fenugreek seeds with water over night or atleast for 3hrs. Wash rice,drain and grind coarsely like semolina with just enough water and put in a bowl.
Now,wash,drain and grind Urad dal,fenugreek seeds with enough water to a very smooth paste until fluffy light batter. Add to the bowl with ground rice and mix both thoroughly. Make sure batter is thicker than pancake/dosa batter and sprinkle the top with 1 tsp salt.
Cover and let it ferment overnight in the oven with the pilot light on in winter.In summer,you can keep it outside to ferment. Do not mix it until morning. When fermented well, you will see the batter risen to double the volume with little bubbles on top. Mix the batter well adding more salt if needed and 1/2 tsp Baking soda.


To microwave the idlis:
Spray a plate with no-stick oil, pour in a ladleful of batter and shake gently to spread, cover with Microwave proof plate or bowl, microwave it for one minute depending on the thickness of the batter.Thinner Idlis cook better and faster. Open the cover and check the middle for doneness, take out and cool on a cooling rack. Serve as soon as possible or you can reheat covered with plates for later.

Butternut Squash Palya/stir-fry:
I love Butternut Squash. It's sweet and spicy tasting palya/tir-fry tastes so good with dosa or idlis or in toasted bread sandwiches too. I have already posted the recipe which I make often here, but I am re-typing the recipe again. Enjoy making it, tasts delicious with these plate idlis as well!:)

You need:

2 cups chopped butternut pieces, few chopped Cilantro, Salt to taste.
To Season:
2 tbsp Oil/butter
1 tsp mustard seeds,
1 tsp chana dal (Split peas)
1/2" ginger minced,
few Curry leaves
1 onion chopped
2-4 Fresh green chillies,chopped
To make the stir-fry:
Heat oil/butter, add all the seasoning ingredients one by one and fry until onion is reddish.Put in diced pumpkin pieces,2 tbsp water and stir-fry for 5mins. Turn down the heat,cover and cook they are until soft, almost dry but not mushy. Add in enough salt to taste and cilantro.

Cilantro Chutney:
Grind 2 cups fresh grated coconut, one whole bunch of Cilantro (mostly it's leaves), 1 small garlic, few green chillies, 1/2" fresh ginger, few curry leaves, salt, 2 tbsp Yogurt, just enough water to make a smooth paste.
Seasoning is optional. If you want, season with hot oil, mustard seeds, Urad dal and curry leaves.

Here is another simple inexpensive gadget you could use to make regular Idlis in the MW. These are called MW Egg poachers available in grocery stores:

I saw these poachers in one of the blogs (don't remember which blog unfortunately) being used to make Idlis and was very impressed. Since the Idli batter used in this gadget is thicker than in the plates, you will have allow more time to cook, got to learn how many minutes to cook by trial and error!
Enjoy!:))


**************************************************************************************************************************

"Seven weirdest things about me" MeMe

Here is my overdue MeMe tag. I have one more MeMe to do for which I have been tagged already. After that I will not be doing anymore MeMes!! So girls and boys, DO NOT tag me please!!:D

Three bloggers have tagged me for "Seven weird things" MeMe. They are Siri from "Siri's Corner", BEV from "Bird's eye view", Happy cook from "my kitchen treasures" and Swathi from "Sugarcraft India". Thanks to all of you for thinking of me!:)

I don't think I have 7 weirdest things to say about me but will try my best and keep it short!:)

1. I can't stand loud music, kids crying or acting up in public, loud and insensitive parents. I move as far away as I can in public places from them and keep away from likes of them my personal life as well.

2. I HATE phones or phone calls! It's true! When I want to call my parents in India, I think all the the things I want to say but when I do call them, I forget everything what I had planned to say and mumble pleasantries and hang up within 5mins! I would rather write long letters than call anyone! I am a writer I guess! Did I say I HATE phones!!:D

3. I wear "Man Pyjamas" as I call them to sleep in! I don't like any lacy, frilly, flowery, pink and purple "nighties". I go to men section in the stores and buy few 100% cotton, very comfortable pyjamas with computer, football, baseball and bear designs on them!! They are soooo comfy and cool!!:D

4. I was never scared of creepy crawlies or anyone as a child and am still not. I often tell my kids that if any burglar invades my home, he is going to have a VERY VERY BAD day. Arvind says he believes me when I say that!:P

5. I walk the other way if anybody tries to get close to me physically or emotionally!I have this invisible "Lakshman Rekha" or boundary around me and I don't like when people invade it or tries to step in. I give "shoulder hug" and a pat on the back and step away!:D That applies to my best friends too and they know it!

6. I don't "Hero Worship" anyone! I think we are all great, some do more than others. That doesn't mean they should be put on pedestal and worshiped. Of course,I admire them for what they have done or do but that's where it stops!

7. I will fill the 7th, when I think of one more weird thing about me later!

OH, I just thought of one more. I am a clean freak. I have this little dog who is all over my husband and kids but I hate when his wet nose touches me! If I want to pet him I will use my toes when he is sitting on the carpet, never touch him with my hands. If I do touch him with my hands, I will get up and wash my hands immediately! Poor dog and poor me!!!

Do I hear the Mental Asylum vehicle siren coming to get me?!!!Hahaha!!

I am not tagging anybody this time but you are welcome to take it up if you like. Have a great week!:)

79 comments:

Padmaja said...

Asha!! Those delectable idlis looks heavenly. I will try your version of microwaving them this time.

Raks said...

Wow Nice Idea of steaming Idlies....I used to eat this kind of idlies in my home B4 marriage..
I was missing this kinda idly but sure will steam this way in microwave as this seems to be quite simple!!
Thanks for sharing the Idea:)

Altoid said...

Wow, would never have thought of MW idlis!

Note to self : Remember to hug Asha continuously and make loud obnoxious noises when meeting her :P

Finla said...

Hey asha idli in the MW i will give it a try. Hans brought home gifts idli packets when he went to london. And iwas moaning that it is a waste as we don't have the utensils to make idli. He will be glad to know that i can make them in MW.
The first weird habbit i do agree with u. Fifht one i know another person who is like that. Shyama is just like you. She runs a mile when her friends come and hugs her.

Sia said...

LOL ashakka... just read ur new year resolution in FH and was abt to leave comment. then saw this post poping in FBD and came over to wish u a very happy new year 9and here i am SHOUTING;)
thats really cool way to prepare tatte idlies. next time i am gonna give it a try in MW. but i have noticed that the idlies cooked in MW are not as soft as they r cooked in traditional method. one of my blog reader also asked this question.
anyways, wishing u again a very happy new yr and by the way, what's ur phone num? he he he he....

EC said...

Have always been making idlis in the usual mw idli plates..will try ur idea next time..

FH said...

Hi Padmaja, I found out that we can microwave Idlis recently too! Works quicker than steaming for 10 mins!:D
Enjoy.

Raks, Thatte Idlis are made very often around Hassan in K'taka. Same batter as regular Idlis but cooked in plates!:)

LOL! Altoid, now I am VERY scared of you now, meeting you one on one too!!
Try to MW your idlis next time, easy and quick but can't beat steaming them though.

FH said...

HeHe!! I should meet Shyama then and shake hands quickly, suits us both!:D
I tried MTR Idli packs for the first time last month, they are really good. Try to soak Gits batter for 15 mins before you MW them. Steaming makes them soft by cooking the grains,but to MW they should be already soft. Try it!:)
Good to see you back F.

I don't have those MW Idli stand EC, but I have seen it in the website though.I didn't buy it since I didn't know it would work. This is the alternate way to make plate Idlis!:)

Sagari said...

nice post ashaji enjoyed while reading about u and those idlis look beautifulll white idlis with orange color curry and green chutney beautifulllll plate

FH said...

Sia, great to see you. Happy new year to you too. Glad to see you back. I intend to all keep all the resolutions this year, no dilly dally about that! I don't see you, you don't see me!!I didn't even surf last weekend!! YAY!!:D
READ girl! I have written that it won't be as soft as steamed one but to serve it hot quickly and fresh out of the MW, they are quite good. The edges become a little dry because MW cooks from outside to inside, that's why you cover it.
I love it since Arvind always walks in at 8pm and I don't have to reheat and serve the cold ones or reheated ones!:)
Happy Monday, have a great day, see you later.

FH said...

Thanks Sagari. I love the sweet and spicy Squash with bland Idlis. Always makes me happy!:)

vimmi said...

The idlis look so soft. never thought of making them in a plate. My batter just does not rise in winters. so i just use gits idlis.they are really soft.

Your meme was so different , it was fun reading. i think u are just the opposite of me, in so many ways. except for our love of good food.

Rajitha said...

that idly chutney palya..did get me drooling! and i hear you on the lakshman rekha..

Richa said...

hey, those idlis look so good for a m/w version!! can never say no to dhania chutney :)
ur meme was fun to read, man pyjamas...lol. i just don't like people talking on the phone while driving, do all ur talking at home and leave the roads ALONE!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Microwave cooking always perks me up! Thanks for sharing such a cool idea!

FH said...

Hi Vimmi, see! That's why I am weird!;D
I MWed the idlis without the cover at first and they became dry on the edges.Cooking them covered keep them moist, also you will have to find the correct time by trial and error. Enjoy.

HeHe! Rajitha, I think it's just my personality not to get too close to people. I am sure they are lot of people out there like me too, not just me!:D

Finla said...

Thanks for the tip

Laavanya said...

That's a great idea to make those flat idlis. My mom has a special set of plates back home. I love that with a spicy chutney. I will check out the butternut squash palya too.
Good meme too... :)

bee said...

men's jammies. now i got to get myself some. you can send the butternut squash palya to marta. her theme is squash for fresh produce of the month. it's on our events calendar.

Sig said...

Microwavce idlies...genius :)
The me-me was a nice read, you know, most of those didn't sound weird at all to me :) guess I am a weirdo myself ;) Hope you had a relaxing weekend...

Kamini said...

LOL at your weirdness... I never use the MW except for reheating. I think I should get over this reluctance in learning how to use it more productively.

FH said...

That's true Richa! I have seen people brushing their teeth while driving in the early morning and swallowing the stuff, never mind talking on the phone! Yikes!!
Love my man Pyjamas and the Cilantro chutney too,specially when they are fresh!:)

You are welcome Sneha, great to see you again girl. Happy new year to you!:))

FH said...

You are welcome F!:)

Laavanya, you will plate Idli stand at FH too, usually I steam with those in pressure cooker. MW is a quick fix!:D

Bee, you must try those 100% soft cotton man PJs, they are soooo comfortable, you will never want to be sexy in those lacy lingerie ever again!:P
I will send it to her. I will have to add the recipe in full though. Thanks!:)

FH said...

Hi Sig, you can relate it too. I thought I am the only weird one! I guess it's our personality trait. People are just different, that's all!:)
I did enjoy, I didn't surf the blogs this weekend. I am so proud!:D

Thank you Kamini!;D
Yeah, I used MW for reheating before too. Since Sri started this MW event,I am experimenting a lot, it does work most of the time. Tempering(Tadka) is hard though, other than that it's usable!:)

Rina said...

Ashaji, this is cool. Idli in micro wave is a real time saver and at the same time fullinf meal. Love your butter squash and cilantro chutney too.

Mishmash ! said...

ur idlis look so soft and pretty :) and me-me was a good one...and could relate to half of the things in there :P i think many of us have lots in common other than the food and food blogging :))

Shn

J said...

You're not weird at all! I can agree to most of that there, so does that make me weird as well??? Nah! :)

FH said...

You are welcome Rina. If you are in a hurry, you can't beat that quick MW Idlis!:))

Haha!! Glad you have atleast half of those weird things, I was feeling a little bit lonely here!:D
I was the only girl growing up at home and a tomboy to boot, so I don't have all the finesse of a girl. Somehow, I have developed a passion for cooking!:)

Siri said...

Hahaha.. these are truly weirdest things I have ever read Ashaji. Thanks for playing along!...and the idlis look so yum and fluffy ..:)

Yummy post from u as always!

~ Siri

DK said...

did U do idli in MW! OMG! I still cant get over that! Never knew MW can be put to so many uses..I mean IDLI's! whoa!

FH said...

J, thanks for the support. For most people these might seem weird but I like myself! :D
Btw, I cooked a lot of dishes for Kerala RCI last week, you will love it. Coming up next at FH!:)

Thanks Siri, see what a great old blogger buddy you have! HeHe!
Glad you enjoyed it. You know, you can use MW Egg poacher gadget you have, you can use those to microwave regular round Idlis too!

FH said...

D, you can use any microwavable plates or cups to make Dhoklas, Idlis etc in mW too. Of course, you do get plastic MW Idli stand as well to buy, you know that right?
Steamed Idlis are always better but MWing is great if you are in a hurry!:)

Manasi said...

Those plate idlis look so YUM!! don't u have a 'regular' idli stand for that too? I remember seeing that in some post!!

Hehehe, ur MeMenice!!! BIG BEAR hug to u!! Hey .. stop running away!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Asha,
I am going to try out microwaving the idlis next time.

Shalini

FH said...

Hahaha!! Manasi, "shoulder hug" to ya!! Glad you liked my weirdness!:P
Yes, you do get the MW regular Idli stand to buy (expensive at $35!), but I don't have those. I use any microwaveable Egg poacher or Omelette maker you get in the grocery store to try out Idlis, works well!:D

Try it Shalini. If you have plastic MW cups, you can use those to make regular Idlis too but it takes more time to cook since they are thick. Plate Idlis are easier!:))

Pravs said...

Quite interesting to read more about you :) Idli in MW is something i haven't tried so far.

Mansi said...

hahahaha...it was nice to discover your "weird" side:D I was so cracking up!! loved that Men-pyjama part:D hehehee....I can say life with you must be an adventure:)

FH said...

Pravs, if I tell you anymore about me, I will have to live with you permanently!:D
Try the MW Idlis just to see if you like it!:)

Mansi!!! Man Pyjamas are great, that is the only sane thing I do of all those in the list!!REALLY!
Yeah, most people don't understand me but when I make friends, I keep them for years as long as they stay little bit away from me! HeHe!!

Meera said...

Those plate idlis look so nice. Loved the chutney too. i was thinking of mw idlis too for mw:tiffin. but using mw idli cooker. i will try thatte idlis next time. thanks for sharing.

You are such a sweet person!! Many hugs to you!! Are you running away from me? :-D

Seema said...

I tried Idlis in MW, but mine gets dry! Guess i am over cooking it.. your looked very moist. Thatte Idli - i always feel these taste better than one we make on reg. idli stand. My mom wold steam on a plate & cut into rectangles & serve - same batter etc.. but this i always said tastes better ( something in mind i guess!!)
Meme was interesting.. hate phone!! I love them :-)

FH said...

Post your MW idlis too Meera, love to look at them. I saw MW Idli stand in the website but they are expensive for a plastic ones!
No, I will give you a VERY QUICK hug!:D

Seema, first time I made these, the edges curled up because I was cooking them little too long. Then I cooked for a short time,take them out when the middle is still little soft. They keep on cooking after a few mins too outside.
Covering them also prevents drying. it to learn the correct time for each MW. Try it!:)
Follow the link, you will see the real plate idli stand I have at FH, that what I usually use, this is the quick version.
Love phone; I believe you, usually women love to talk forever on that phone, my daughter does too!!:D

Lata said...

Yummy Idlis. I have a microvable one too and I make 12 idlis in 4 mins. So convenient.

TBC said...

I like the cilantro chutney and make something similar for sandwiches. Idlis are something which I do not care for:-)
My mom makes the best idlis but I won't touch 'em.
I am a clean freak too. In fact, my husband thinks I am becoming more and more like MONK with every passing day!

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

OMG, Why am I so horribly late everytime to leave a comments??!! :( Sorry about that,Ashakka... Loved the palya!! and the MW idli looks so damn soft...

Rachel said...

That was a short and to the point meme..!!

amna said...

wow! thats such an innovative way of making idlis. does the inside cook properly? and does the outside become a little dry to touch?

Lakshmi said...

Thatte idli sogasagi ide Ashakka. Eega thatte idli sambar nenapagi hotte jor hasitha ide. kumabalakayi palya super.

Raaga said...

Ashakka... made it finally... happy new year. Your thatte idli reminds me of my BLR days.

Anonymous said...

wow...nice looking idlies..I also have the same...:D..anyway we have as many as we can right!..those side dishes are looking great too...

about your meme..men pyjamas sound great!..nice knowing you asha..

-Srivalli

sra said...

Not weird, really

J said...

Btw, RCI ends on Jan 25th not 31st....just saw that on your sidebar :)

Roopa said...

wow Asha the egg poacher is a great idea :). true iddlis in microwave are way faster and easier! to make soft ones i add more water than regular steamer ....i think that works...

FH said...

Lata, I might buy one of those if it works well, saves lot of time indeed!:)

Hahaha!! Tbc, we both should leave our husbands and live in a very clean environment happily ever after!;D
Arvind and kids don't like Idlis and Dosas that much either but they eat them anyway when I make them once in 2 weeks. Kids don't like the fermented smell!:D

FH said...

Ramya, I don't post often these days here, so take your time. Never feel obligated to rush in, we have enough work to do as it is, right? :))

Rachel, I have revealed enough of myself in these MeMes so far! Anymore of me, I will have to hide somewhere!;D

FH said...

Nags, they cook well once you find out the correct time to cook and cover keeps them soft. Try and see how you like it. At first, I messed up few idlis as well, now they come out well!:)

L, neevu sambhar nenapu madida mele nanagoo hotte hasivu shuru aaytu!:D
Squash really tastes great with these, have to add bit more chilli than usual to make it tasty!:)

FH said...

Raaga, good to see you. Take your time if you can't get in some days, can't help with these internet connection!:))
Yeah, they serve Thatte Idlis in the restaurants too these days in B'lore. In Hassan, they are always available.

Sri, absolutely can have more!:)
I thought hard what else can I cook in the MW for breakfast but idli was the best I could come up with! Glad you liked it.

FH said...

sra, we always think we are the weird ones because we don't talk about ourselves much. These MeMes reveal us and make us realize that there are many like me too, not that weird after all!:D

J, I will correct it. I was on break when you announced RCI. I did post those in a hurry so I don't spend too much time blogging!:)

Roopa, great tip! I could put another plate underneath with water in it so they remain soft. Thanks girl. I try and buy that MW idli stand!:)

Red Chillies said...

Asha, I loved the idea of using the egg poachers to make idlis. I have never tried making idlis in the MW for the fear that they might get hard. Loved your neat idea.

Loved reading all 'weired' facts about you

Padma said...

Asha, never ever imagined Idlis out of m/w... this is so wonderful and the cleaning also makes it easy.
Thanks for ur warm message on my blog and wish u & ur family a very happy new year!

Daily Meals said...

Micro Wave idli!!! Must give it a try. Nice MeMe Asha!

FH said...

RC, I was skeptical too at first but they do work. Try it and see if you like it next time when you have some Idli batter!:)

You are welcome Padma and thank you too!:)
You can make lot of things in that MW, I am finding out that myself too!:D

Glad you enjoyed the MeMe Vijaya, now you know you have a weird friend too!:D
Try MW Idlis when you have some batter.always good to try anything once!:)

Swaroopa said...

cool recipe!! will give it a try...happy new yr, dear.

Pooja Na(i)rayan said...

I liked your meme a lot. Your blog is one of those blogs I read and get inspired. You dont limit yourself. I like the personal touch of your blogs.
I have read of making idlis in custrad ramekins in microwave but never had courage to do it. SHould try it today as i have batter. Ok Clean freak, mens pj loving , phone hater ,burglar freaker, I love you & your blog no matter. Ok no hugs

FH said...

Thanks, wish you a very happy new year too Swaroopa. Enjoy!:))

LOL! Mocha, thank you sweetheart. No hugs but we will shake hands instead!
Do try the Idli in Ramekins and in plates too. Need to find out the time by experimenting though, have fun!:)

AnuSriram said...

Idli in just one minute??? ... What a gr8 idea asha! will try this way of making idlis soon... Thanks for the tip...

Menu Today said...

Hi Asha,

Beautiful idea of making plate idlis in microwave...
With this idlis we can make sandwich idlis perfect... (thanks for the tip)
Nice write-up.
All your earlier posts, palak with paramesan cheese, mango keer and cookies look nice. Thanks for sharing,.

Raaga said...

Ashakka... you should come to my blog whether you see a comment from me or not :-) I am facing serious problems with blogspot alone... and it is so moody I can't tell you... I get to your blog, Nupur's blog, Meeta's blog, Nandita's blog and so on... so late that it is not even funny :-(((

Chibog in Chief said...

yesterday i made some naan (my hubby loved it) ..well i'm actually in my "cook indian dishes" mood since monday..i will definitely try idlis tomorrow they look fun and easy to make..:-)

but probably i will pair them with curry..what do you think?.my husband doesnt like veggie so much..eheheheh

thanks for these wonderful recipes Asha !!

FH said...

Anu, it won't as soft as steaming but for immediate use in a hurry, you can't beat this. Just cover to keep the steam in!:)

MT, great for sandwiches! You can fill two plate idlis with any filling and cut them into triangles, makes a great presentation for guests as well!:)

FH said...

Raaga, I will try. I have too much work these days, kids have all the exams and tests, so it's hard to visit so many posts everyday.THat doesn't mean I don't care but...I choose a few, skip some, can't help it. Got to have some time for myself!:)
Late is quite okay, never is not good!:D
Have a great day, see you later.

Dhangitt, great to see you. I was thinking of writing your MeMe tag next week!:))
Yes,you can make any curry for these. My Catholic friend used to serve these idlis with Pork curry on X-Mas day. Tastes great with non-veg or sambhar as well. Enjoy.Serve immediately after making it out of the MW.
I am in the mood for baking bread today, proofing in the oven as we speak!:D
Glad you tried Naan, go to recipe Index to find all the non-veg and veg curries too.

Grihini said...

Thatte Idli.. wow, thuba dina aagithu idanu nodi :)
And nice to read ur Me-me.. i particularly feel the same about loud noises.

krystyna said...

Hi Asha!
Love your advices. Sometimes I like to use microwave. And good idea with this gadget for eggs.
Thanks for sharing about yourself..You wrote it in your specific, interesting way.
Good idea with Man Pujamas.
I like to use the shirts (bigger)but I'm going to start with 100% cotton pijamas too...hahaha..
Best to you!

FH said...

Hi G, I make Thatte Idli often, I love it. Easier to scoop side dishes than little Idlis!:D
Arvind bought me a Bose head phone for X-Mas and I can't stand it! I feel like I am drowning because it's right on my ear!!:P

Hi K, Egg poachers are great for MWing Eggs in a hurry, works well!:)
In Summer, I wear big cotton shirts too!! I call them "my tent"!!Hahaha!!
They are the best!

Lisa Johnson said...

I've never thought of stir-frying butternut squash before. Maybe I'll give it a try. And I'll try and make sure not to tag you! ; )

FH said...

Anali, try this recipe you will love it, simple and delicious!
MeMes, yes! I think I have maxed out! Hahaha!!

chemcookit said...

Dear Asha,
thank you so much for this wonderful recipe and sorry for not seeing it earlier!! I feel really bad about missing it! I'll put it on the roundup as soon as I get home tonight :) It looks delicious, and I was looking forward to learning how to make idlies.

FH said...

It's okay Marta, happens sometimes. E mails are notorious to send some of them to spam!:))
Enjoy.

arundati said...

i tried mwing idlis once and it was a disaster...then someone said to also keep a small bowl of water alongside to combat the dryness.... i must try this again....i did get an idli stand with the mw (complimentary gift!!) but put it on the loft with the vessels i dont use...must bring it down!! the pumpkin side dish looks yum... will be fab with hot phulkas too i think.......

FH said...

Arundati, it does take some experimenting to MW Idlis. I just cover it while in the MW, need to keep the steam in but remove the lid as soon as it comes out to prevent soggy Idlis. Try in the MW plates, might work. It's easy and convenient but never as soft as steamed ones!:))