Microwaved Plate Idlis are my entry to "Easy cooking with Microwave" which is hosted by Srivalli of "Cooking 4 all seasons" with a theme of "Tiffins" this month. Thanks Sri!:)
I am sending Butternut Squash Stir-fry to Marta from "an Italian in the US" blog for her "Fresh produce of the Month" event. She has chosen "Squash" this month. Thanks Marta, enjoy!:)
Idlis are the quintessential breakfast or tiffin dish for most South Indians. We usually steam these in Idli stand or Thatte Idli stand inside the pressure. For a faster way, I cook them in the microwave one at a time. They come out quite well for folks in a hurry but of course not as soft as the regular steamed ones. Try it out and see if you like it. Cooking time varies depending on the power of your microwave, experiment. I like the convenience and ease of microwaving these. Enjoy!:)
Thatte(Plate) Idlis with Butternut squash stir-fry and Cilantro chutney:
To make the usual Idli batter:
Soak 1 1/2 cups Long grain rice,1/2 cup Converted rice(par-boiled rice) in a bowl with lots of water.In another bowl,soak 3/4 cup Urad dal,1 tbsp Fenugreek seeds with water over night or atleast for 3hrs. Wash rice,drain and grind coarsely like semolina with just enough water and put in a bowl.
Now,wash,drain and grind Urad dal,fenugreek seeds with enough water to a very smooth paste until fluffy light batter. Add to the bowl with ground rice and mix both thoroughly. Make sure batter is thicker than pancake/dosa batter and sprinkle the top with 1 tsp salt.
Cover and let it ferment overnight in the oven with the pilot light on in winter.In summer,you can keep it outside to ferment. Do not mix it until morning. When fermented well, you will see the batter risen to double the volume with little bubbles on top. Mix the batter well adding more salt if needed and 1/2 tsp Baking soda.
To microwave the idlis:
Spray a plate with no-stick oil, pour in a ladleful of batter and shake gently to spread, cover with Microwave proof plate or bowl, microwave it for one minute depending on the thickness of the batter.Thinner Idlis cook better and faster. Open the cover and check the middle for doneness, take out and cool on a cooling rack. Serve as soon as possible or you can reheat covered with plates for later.
Butternut Squash Palya/stir-fry:
I love Butternut Squash. It's sweet and spicy tasting palya/tir-fry tastes so good with dosa or idlis or in toasted bread sandwiches too. I have already posted the recipe which I make often here, but I am re-typing the recipe again. Enjoy making it, tasts delicious with these plate idlis as well!:)
2 cups chopped butternut pieces, few chopped Cilantro, Salt to taste.
2 tbsp Oil/butter
1 tsp mustard seeds,
1 tsp chana dal (Split peas)
1/2" ginger minced,
few Curry leaves
1 onion chopped
2-4 Fresh green chillies,chopped
To make the stir-fry:
Heat oil/butter, add all the seasoning ingredients one by one and fry until onion is reddish.Put in diced pumpkin pieces,2 tbsp water and stir-fry for 5mins. Turn down the heat,cover and cook they are until soft, almost dry but not mushy. Add in enough salt to taste and cilantro.
Grind 2 cups fresh grated coconut, one whole bunch of Cilantro (mostly it's leaves), 1 small garlic, few green chillies, 1/2" fresh ginger, few curry leaves, salt, 2 tbsp Yogurt, just enough water to make a smooth paste.
Seasoning is optional. If you want, season with hot oil, mustard seeds, Urad dal and curry leaves.
Here is another simple inexpensive gadget you could use to make regular Idlis in the MW. These are called MW Egg poachers available in grocery stores:
I saw these poachers in one of the blogs (don't remember which blog unfortunately) being used to make Idlis and was very impressed. Since the Idli batter used in this gadget is thicker than in the plates, you will have allow more time to cook, got to learn how many minutes to cook by trial and error!
"Seven weirdest things about me" MeMe
Here is my overdue MeMe tag. I have one more MeMe to do for which I have been tagged already. After that I will not be doing anymore MeMes!! So girls and boys, DO NOT tag me please!!:D
Three bloggers have tagged me for "Seven weird things" MeMe. They are Siri from "Siri's Corner", BEV from "Bird's eye view", Happy cook from "my kitchen treasures" and Swathi from "Sugarcraft India". Thanks to all of you for thinking of me!:)
I don't think I have 7 weirdest things to say about me but will try my best and keep it short!:)
1. I can't stand loud music, kids crying or acting up in public, loud and insensitive parents. I move as far away as I can in public places from them and keep away from likes of them my personal life as well.
2. I HATE phones or phone calls! It's true! When I want to call my parents in India, I think all the the things I want to say but when I do call them, I forget everything what I had planned to say and mumble pleasantries and hang up within 5mins! I would rather write long letters than call anyone! I am a writer I guess! Did I say I HATE phones!!:D
3. I wear "Man Pyjamas" as I call them to sleep in! I don't like any lacy, frilly, flowery, pink and purple "nighties". I go to men section in the stores and buy few 100% cotton, very comfortable pyjamas with computer, football, baseball and bear designs on them!! They are soooo comfy and cool!!:D
4. I was never scared of creepy crawlies or anyone as a child and am still not. I often tell my kids that if any burglar invades my home, he is going to have a VERY VERY BAD day. Arvind says he believes me when I say that!:P
5. I walk the other way if anybody tries to get close to me physically or emotionally!I have this invisible "Lakshman Rekha" or boundary around me and I don't like when people invade it or tries to step in. I give "shoulder hug" and a pat on the back and step away!:D That applies to my best friends too and they know it!
6. I don't "Hero Worship" anyone! I think we are all great, some do more than others. That doesn't mean they should be put on pedestal and worshiped. Of course,I admire them for what they have done or do but that's where it stops!
7. I will fill the 7th, when I think of one more weird thing about me later!
OH, I just thought of one more. I am a clean freak. I have this little dog who is all over my husband and kids but I hate when his wet nose touches me! If I want to pet him I will use my toes when he is sitting on the carpet, never touch him with my hands. If I do touch him with my hands, I will get up and wash my hands immediately! Poor dog and poor me!!!
Do I hear the Mental Asylum vehicle siren coming to get me?!!!Hahaha!!
I am not tagging anybody this time but you are welcome to take it up if you like. Have a great week!:)