May 22, 2007

BLANCMANGE and MANGO-COCONUT BURFI!!

Blancmange and Mango-Coconut Burfi are my entries to Coffee from 'The Spice Cafe's "Monthly Blog Patrolling" with the theme "Something Sweet".Thanks for hosting Coffee!:)

First dessert I selected for Coffee's blog patrol is Blancmange, from Chandrika of Akshayapatra's "Jaggery Blancmange" recipe, but skipped the Jaggery for sugar and added Saffron for color and flavor,topped with thinned Grape Jam.Rest of the method to make this dessert is the same as the original.It was a light and refreshing dessert.We enjoyed it a lot,thank you Chandrika:))

Saffron Blancmange topped with Grape Jam:




A side view(without the flash)!;p



What is a Blancmange?
Blancmange,also means "shape", is a sweet dessert most commonly made with gelatin and milk or cornflour as binding agent along with other coloring and flavoring ingredients.It is similar to Mexican Flan,Italian Pannacotta and Jell-O made with plain Gelatin.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

My second dessert is Mango-Coconut Burfi,which I chose from Viji of Vcuisine blog.Thanks for the great idea Viji!:))
At first I wanted bake Paati's Raspberry Jelly Roll but as soon as I saw Mango-coconut Burfi which seems to be everywhere(the recipe I mean)in many web sites as well,my plans changed!
I had bought a big can of Alfonso Mango pulp, thought I would put that to use.
I used sweetened coconut and cut down the amount of sugar way down from the original recipe,skipped the Cardamom since Mangoes have their own natural flavor and aroma.Rest of the method of making these is almost the same as the original recipe. Check that out and my lighter and less sweeter version below.

Mango-Coconut Burfi:



My variation of Burfi!:D
Since I changed the ingredients slightly(?!),I am giving you how I made these Burfis you see above.

Here's how I made Burfi:
1. In a non-stick pan,add 1 cup canned sweetened Alphonso Mango pulp and 2 tsp Ghee or sweet butter,stir until you see the ghee on top and the sauce thickens.
2. Add 1 cup sweetened grated coconut,1/2 cup fat-free Milk powder,1/4 cup sugar and mix well.Keep stirring until they form a lump and add 1 more tsp ghee/butter, mix.
3. Add to a greased plate,pat lightly to flatten and sprinkle 2 tsp Pistachio pd on top evenly and press slightly.
4. Cool it on the counter,cut into shapes,cover and chill in the fridge if you are not using it immediately.
5. It tasted slightly Tangy and sweet just like Mangoes should be,VERY aromatic and VERY colorful!!Serve at room temperature if you like.

Aren't they beautiful to look at?! And even more delicious to eat!!Hope you try:))

42 comments:

Roopa said...

nice entry ASha! yumm the blancmange anf burfi looks good. thumba chenagidde low fat version. i too make sometimes my mil makes it fantastic. waiting to call her as my maid is going back all the probs with adjusting so on....see you

sunita said...

Those sweets look soooooo tempting...wish you were near...would have shamelessly helped myself...honestly...

Coffee said...

Gorgeous!!!! Simply gorgeous!!! The barfi looks amazing! :)

Thanks for these gorgeous entries!:) HUGS!!!

FH said...

Roopa,canned Mango pulp saved me bcos the ripe mango I get here is so stringy,I have to floss for 15 mins:))
You have a maid there!!WOW!! Lucky girl!Don't worry ,you will get somebody else to help you:))

FH said...

Hahaha!! Sunita,these two are so ridiculously easy to make,I don't think you need me!:)

Coffee,so gald to see you girl.I was thinking 25th is the deadline until I saw my own list and felt so guilty!
Thanks for putting up with me,hugging you back Coffee!Thanks:))

Arts said...

Lovely Entries!
I just got mango pulp.. Got to try these awesome looking burfis now :)

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Wow!!! they look really really good.... lovely pics too :)

Kribha said...

Simply Superb Asha. Gorgeous presentations. Hey, I'm thinking of starting a diet plan to lose weight. But, I don't think you would help me at all. I'm such an addict to sweets that I can't help drooling over your pictures. I could not choose one over the other. Both the entries are competing with eachother. Just looking at the desserts makes me sooo happy.Thanks for sharing this.

Pravs said...

Beautiful !..both sweets look very tempting. mango and coconut combo must taste divine..right ?

Seema Bhat said...

How ya doing Asha. Thanx for asking about me. Soumya did mention. My In Laws are here for 6 months so it was kind of very tough to come and sit in front of computer. I will try my best to keep blogging and I must say I am missing out a lot of wonderful recipes from all you buddies. Loved the blancmange. I have never tasted it but they just look picture perfect. Yummmy. Mango burfi sounds interesting too.
hugs
Seema

FH said...

Hey Arts.Hope you do make these.You can use fresh coconut and sugar if sweetened coconut is not available:)

Thanks Ramya,Mango Burfi tumba ishta aaytu namagella.Great taste.Try it.

HeHe!! Diet is gone out of the window Kribha!!
You can always cut down the sugar but they don't taste the same,do they? Blame Coffee for choosing sweets for MBP,not me!;D

FH said...

Yes Pravs,Mango and Coconut are out of this world combo!I loved the sweetened coconut in there,it was a quick dessert to make!:)

Hi Seema,so good to hear from you!:))
Oh,In-laws are here,no wonder you couldn't get time.That's okay,take your time and come back whaen you can.I thought may be you are not feeling well or something.
Have fun there and don't work too hard! 6 mnts are a long time.Take care yourself.Hugs to you too:))

Dan said...

Asha, dear, thanks for visiting my blog! You have some really nice, appetizing blogs. My stomach is growling after spending just a few minutes over here!

FH said...

HeHe!! Thank you Dan.Glad to see you here.These are all the visual treats you get here,no brain stimulating conversations!;D
Enjoy:))

Suganya said...

Hay those 2 sweets are very different. They are so tempting. Blancmange is looking great. I love it.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I just made a savory pasta with saffron, but I'm intrigued by its addition in this sweet dish. This is just beautiful, Asha!

Menu Today said...

Hi Asha,
Both looks nice and great entry.
I will try both. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Asha, you've been a busy girl as usual! Loved your fruity bread and salad, and the jicama "qorma" very clever "q" indeed! Jicama is great for low-cal crunch :) And these desserts are gorgeous. Always look forward to seeing your culinary delights!

FH said...

Thanks Sukanya.Both were light desserts,enjoyed them:))

Hello Susan,we mostly use Saffron in desserts and very rarely use in savory dishes like Saffron Chicken and Biryanis for subtle flavor.Both these dishes are at FH,check it out if you like:))

FH said...

You are very welcome MT!Hope you do!:))

Hi Linda,glad you got some time.Hope all the work on curb appeal coming to shape.Q was tough to come up with but Afghanis always make K inti q ,so worked for me.
Jicama was introduced by you to us remember? Loved the crunch:))
I am getting tired too Linda,I cut down participating in many events and cutting A to Z too once I reach D!!:D Have a great day.

Sia said...

i am just recovering from cold n fever and here u r ready with not just one but 2 recips to tempt me:P this is not fair:( fantstic presentation of Blancmange...never heard of this. u said it literally means "shape". i am sure it must be "round" shape after having this;)

Sia said...

waiting for ur FH post ashakka:)

FH said...

HeHe!! Large round more like it!! No,look at those ingredients,not that bad.Better than those cakes we bake:P
Wait until next week and make that Mango Burfi.It's so aromatic and unbelievably tasty.I know you probably cannot smell anything now.Get better,lot of pepper Rasam would be nice too with Nimbu rasam:))

Richa said...

both the entries look YUM! i too try to make lighter versions with less sugar etc, suits me fine ;)

FH said...

Richa,thanks.I am not into sweets much either and whenever I make dessert for the family,I keep the sugar to the minimum.I don't mind little tangy desserts!:D

krystyna said...

Hi Asha!
They look soo beautiful and I can imagine taste delicious. My eyes and stomach have a yummy , sweet banquet.
Thanks a lot!

FH said...

HeHe!! Nice choice of words to describe the sweets Krystyna!!:))
They are delicious,specially the Mango dessert,try it.

Sharmi said...

hey lovely entries. I liked the mango burfi. looks so delicious.

FH said...

You are welcome Sharmi,hope you try:))

Aruna said...

Asha, the Saffron blancmange looks sooo delicious, also ur low fat version of burfi suits me perfectly!!!!

FH said...

Hi Aruna,Blancmange has fancy name but it's just Flan,very easy.Mango was delicious and tangy.Try it:))

Sana said...

This is a great idea.I too have a can of Alphonso pulp, will give this a try one of these days.

FH said...

Sana,try it.I guarantee you ,you will love it:))

Kajal said...

Nice entry ASHA, but I ignore it I love mango but busy in some work ........ when I see your post then I really think you are the best cook to make anything.....I am very happy when see your post..... Your entry is fabulous my dear.:)

Mona said...

AH! This is exotic! I will make it tomorrow as magoes are available aplenty here these days!
Thanks a load Asha! :))

FH said...

Hi Mona.I envy you for getting all those Mangoes there at this time.Enjoy the Burfis:)

Prema Sundar said...

They sure look lovely to look at Asha and must have really been delicious to taste it. good entry.

FH said...

They were Prema.Blancmange was cool and refreshing.Try it:)

Viji said...

Looks so colorful Asha. Viji

FH said...

Thank you Viji for your Mango Burfi recipe.It was heavenly:))

Anonymous said...

Hi asha,, you are basking in tomatoes, send them hear if you have too many,, joking,,you have mouth watering recipes,, i have tried some of them,, they are deliou.... how are you,, the procedure of Lasik looks so painful,, any way hope you recover well,, bye for now

FH said...

Hi Jaya, wish I could send you some girl,I am still getting LOT of Cherry tomatoes!:)
I am doing well after LASIK,compared to others I didn't have any pain or discomfort at all.I am just lucky, I guess.
Good that you tried some of these, go to Foodies Hope for more Karnataka dishes. Enjoy.Thanks for leaving a comment, nice to meet you!:))