May 16, 2008

Clicking Beans, Gougère/Cheese Puffs




Clicking Matki beans
today for my entry to "Click-Beans and Lentils" which JaiBee of "Jugalbandi" blog are hosting this month. Thank you Jugs and all the judges too!:)




About Matki beans:
These cute beans might be the smallest of all beans as far as I know! Soaked and cooked Matki beans are usually used in Maharashtrian Usal to make a spicy dish called Misal. I love the taste and loved to eat Misal when I was in college in a small local restaurant for lunch almost three times a week! Here is the recipe for Matki Pulao I made along with a photo of Matki beans, dry and soaked!:)

Matki beans Pulao:

Matki Pulao

Camera: Sony Cyber-Shot 4.1Megapixels

*****************************************************************************************************************************


I am making a delicious French appetizer called Gougère to serve with red Wine for Mansi from "Fun and Food" blog's party, who is guest hosting "Monthly Mingle" with the theme of "Appetizers" this month. "Monthly Mingle" event is initiated by Meeta of "What's for lunch, Honey?" blog. Thanks to both of you, enjoy these yummies!:)


Gougère or Cheese Puffs:
Gougère are pronounced as Goozhair in French (say it in French accent please! :D) and also called Cheese Puffs in England. They are fluffy round balls made from a very thick batter called pâte à choux or cheese puff dough or thick batter and usually served with Wine at parties. If you make just the basic dough, you can add sugar and essence, bake these as sweet cream puffs, eclairs etc. and stuff with chocolate ganache or vanilla butter cream. The addition of grated cheese, herbs, spices etc transforms these into savory Gougères. Grated Swiss Gruyere cheese is usually used to make these but I added sharp white Cheddar and few spices to make it yummier!:)

This Recipe for Gougère comes from French chef Jacques Pépin , with my additions of garlic pd, parsley and Chilli flakes. Enjoy!

Red Wine with Gougère/Cheese puffs:
I know some of you are going to ask what kind of Wine did I serve with! :D
Any red Wine will go very nicely with spicy Gougère and white Wine is served with sweet Gougères! This particular red Wine is called "Old Vine Zin"(Lodi Zinfandel of California), a product of "Gnarly Head". It's a dry red Wine and tastes wonderful with warm and spicy Gougères!

Gougère piled up, grab a few! :D
Kids ate them like crazy and we parents enjoyed these with red wine! You can reheat them at 350F for 10 mins in the oven, if there are any left overs. I remember Iyengar Bakery sweet cream Éclairs in Bangalore I used to love, will make that next time! :))

Inside story!!
It should look like this inside after you bake. Fluffy with big holes and crunchy cheesy outside. Make sure the batter/dough is just warm or cold before you add Eggs to mix.

How to make them:
You don't have to use piping bag. After the initial try, I just used a spoon to scoop and drop puff batter on the baking sheet, lot easier!

You need:
1 cup milk or cream,
4 tbsp unsalted butter(1/2 stick),
1/2 tsp salt,
1/2 tsp garlic pd,
1/4 tsp or more chilli flakes,
1 tsp dry Parsley,
Pinch of cayenne pepper,
1 cup all-purpose flour,
3 large eggs,
1/8 teaspoon paprika,
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese,
1 cup grated white Cheddar cheese or any hard cheese you like,
Save some Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top.

To bake them:
1. Bring the milk,butter,salt,garlic pd, chilli flakes,parsley and cayenne to a boil in a saucepan.
2. Remove from the heat, add all the flour and mix well with a wooden spatula until it's well mixed. Put it back on the heat, keep mixing until you get a lump and dough is not very soft.
3. Take it off put it in a bowl or blender/mixer, let the dough cool before adding eggs, or they will become scrambled in the hot dough.

Preheat the oven to 375F, prepare the baking sheet by spraying no-stick oil or line with parchment paper.

4. When the batter is cooled, start the mixer on low or mix in a bowl by hand. Add 1 egg at a time, mix until well mixed, use all the eggs this way, add in Paprika too. Now mix in both the grated cheeses and mix well with a spatula gently.
5. With a spoon or 1 tbsp cookie dough scooper or with piping bag, drop 1 1/2 tbsp of thick batter on the baking sheet 2" apart in a round shape, don't press it down.
6. Sprinkle the top with grated Parmesan cheese lightly and bake for about 25-30mins or until the top becomes golden.
Don't take them out of the oven too early, they all collapse instead of staying puffy! Don't let them burn either, burnt cheese doesn't taste that great!
7. Take them out on a cooling rack and serve warm or reheat for a short time before serving.

Enjoy, see you all next week. Have a peaceful weekend!:)

68 comments:

Sangeeth said...

first time at ur site and wow! your recipes are great! you have a wonderful and colourful blog :)

FH said...

Thank you Sangeeth, I appreciate it. Enjoy browsing!:))

kamala said...

The cheese puffs and glass of wine looking gorgeous.Since i have some infection in my fingers I couldnt cook today.I want tograb this now Ashaji

FH said...

So sorry about the infection, wish you speedy recovery!
I was just looking at your Kutch art,left a comment and came here to moderate and I see you here!:))
Thanks, try when your fingers are better, wish I could send you some!

Priya said...

They look delicious. Next week I have visitors and will sure try this recipe Asha.

ranji said...

Cheese puffs looks delcious!!!love it...great click entry too..u too have a great weeknd :)..

bee said...

looking at your blog makes me fat. thanks for the lovely click.

Anonymous said...

Hi Asha,
Cheese puffs look delicious.will surely try this and let u know.

Shalini

FH said...

Fresh baked and served warm is the best Priya, try it!:)

Thanks Ranji, have a good one!:))

FH said...

LOL! Bee, that's good! I will make you a virtual non-vegan and non-vegetarian too! HeHe!

Shalini, try this weekend, easy and tasty. Got red Wine? ;D

Rachel said...

Ahhh I'd sure would want to grab some of those delectable cheese puffs..

Uma said...

Beautiful click, Asha! Same pinch, I also have the same camera like yours (Sony cybershot 4.1 megapixels). My hubby said he is going to present me a new advanced camera for our marriage anniversary on June 8th. I am so excited.

The cheese puffs look so delicious and fabulous. Have a great weekend ahead, Asha!

FH said...

Rachel, they are really great to eat, chockful of cheddar!:)

Uma, I have 8.1 mpg Sony Cyber Shot but I went back to my old camera!:D
This little camera does a great job, but screen is dying. Enjoy the new one, more great photos for your blog!:))

Cham said...

Ah Asha, gougere makes me nostalgic! I grew up pretty much eating those French stuffs... Perfect with wine or champagne... Now i got to pick some eclairs in near bakery! Beautiful click too !

Suganya said...

Hi Asha...
That was a nice post. That was a gorgeous click on the beans. Cheese puffs looks so good. Turned out so perfect. YUM! YUM!

Jaya M said...

simply great entries for the events ..
liked the cheese puffs ..
hugs and smiles
jaya

TheCooker said...

Impossible to take my eyes off those puffs.
Just gorgeous!

Arundathi said...

Those Gougeres look gorgeous! :) I've been wanting to make this for the longest time. Yours look perfect, love the inside shot - all those holes - perfect.
Thanks - definitely gonna try this. And yes, I have lots of red wine! :)

Unknown said...

I love cream puffs Asha..thanks for the recipe..am surely going to try this Asha..lovely click..

Lavanya Raj said...

Asha,,Cheese Puff's are Lovely Lovely.

Perfect Click Entry. Have a Great Weekend!!

FH said...

Cham, you are lucky to get authentic Gougere. I love Éclairs, got to make it here myself I guess!:D

Sukanya, I was hesitating at first whether I get them right. But they came out well!:)

Thanks Jaya, I always welcome your hugs and smiles!:))

FH said...

Thanks TC, hope you make them this weekend girl, excellent when they are warm!:)

Hi A! You already got red Wine, now get up and make these girl. They really make a wonderful combo, try it this weekend, enjoy!:)

FH said...

Dhivya, I have got to make sweet ones, great with white Wine. Hope you try. Skip all the spices and add sugar and essence for sweet ones!:)

Thanks Lavi. We loved them. They don't taste that good cold than just out of the oven. Give it a try!:)

Madhavi said...

Hey Asha, i want this cheese puffs, will send u my address :p jus kidding:))) Looks awesome with that glass of wine. wonderful entry!!!

Mansi said...

wow, that sure looks yummy & cheesy Asha! thanks so much for sending it to MM:)

Kalai said...

Click looks great, Ashakka! Those cheese puffs have me drooling like nobody's business... You had me at "cheese." Awesome and looks pretty easy, too. My kind of party food! :)

FH said...

Madhavi, I will send it to you next time I make them, sweet ones!:))

You are welcome Mansi, glad you liked it. Egg and cheese are allowed. right? Enjoy! :)

Hahaha!! Kalai, you made my day girl, was just trying to wrap up the Friday! Hugs, have a great weekend!:)

Richa said...

wowieee! those cheese puffs r so cool!!! and so light inside :) enjoy ur wknd!

TBC said...

Ah, chilli flakes in a French appetizer! You could not help but Indianize it, huh? I do that a lot too.:D

Meera said...

They look so scrumptious. Drooling. & looking forward to your Iyengar bakery eclairs. Thanks so much for sharing.

FH said...

Thanks Rich. You too friend, have a fun weekend!:)

HeHe! Tbc, original recipe says to add cayenne pepper, I like chilli flakes better. Yeah, how can you eat any appetizer without a Indian zing!:D

Enjoy Meera. Just finished the Mango cake, will wait for weeks for making Éclairs orelse I will have to break down the front door to get in the house!! Hahaha!!

Laavanya said...

The cheese puffs look gorgeous Asha.. have bookmarked this to try!

FH said...

Thanks Lavs, enjoy, not hard at all to make. I read lot of people fail to get puffy Gougeres but came out good for me, this is my first try. Use mixer to mix the eggs well or hand beater!:)

SMN said...

Ashakka.. nice entry for click and this is a new recipe for me..

FH said...

Hi Sushma, try it girl, easy enough to do. Have a wonderful weekend!:)

Unknown said...

cheese puffs looks great ....nice click too...

Mona said...

wow! that is one of your most mouthwatering recipe and worth a try!

I LOVE sweet cream puffs!

I MUST try making these! They sound just too good!

Mona said...

I wonder if you know... I suffered Angina a few days ago... But am feeling much better now! :)

FH said...

Thanks Sowmya, hope you try!:))

OMG!! Mona, that's scary!! Glad to hear that you are doing better now buddy. I didn't know that. I have been blogging just 3 days a week now, I am taking it easy, read,gardening, cook the other days.
Hugs to you, do take care of yourself girl.I will see you later!:)

EC said...

Matki Beans pulav looks very tempting...Nice shot

FH said...

Easy, tasty and healthy Matki pulao EC, makes a great light weekend brunch!:))

Anonymous said...

Asha,
Looking at the Gougere pictures makes me want to make them pronto but alas, I have no butter at home. Bookmarking this recipe.

Have a nice weekend.

Mamatha

Sum Raj said...

hai asha....i luved ur blog...its too amazing and i really appreciate ur recipes.......no words to express..

Srivalli said...

Asha..those are some lovely pictures...nice click..but best are those starters..yummy!...have a great weekend..and catch you on monday...enjoy!

ServesYouRight said...

I heart beans in a pulao - my mom's friend used to make a navratan pulao with nine beans in it!! I am a big fan of popovers which are really the country-cousins on gougeres :-)

Take care and hugs,
smita

FH said...

Hope you try Mamatha, they are really very cheesy and tasty when they are fresh out of the oven!:)

Hi Suma, welcome to Aroma. I saw your site too, haven't registered yet.You have very authentic kannadiga recipes.
Thanks for visiting. Enjoy browsing a, love feedbacks if you try any!:))

FH said...

Hi Sri, I read you are doing the Marathon with DK and Siri too, good luck! I will see you on Monday a bit later than usual, got to take Trisha to college for next yea'rs class schedule!:)

Me too Smita, rice and beans are the best comfort food. Guess what? I just bought a Popover baking pan!!:D
Enjoy your weekend, hugs.

Rajitha said...

yum!! that does look good..now all i gotta do is veganize it...

FH said...

HeHe!! That's impossible I think! What do you replace all that cheese and eggs with? :D
Have a fun weekend Rajitha, see you on Monday.We worked on the veggie patch today, it was a hot day!:))

Seema said...

Lovely one Asha.. I will definetly try this one! A perfect snack!

Purnima said...

Asha, Gougères look Del! Hv taken off feedjit. The recipe sure looks great! Thks for sharing n waiting your eclair-ed version of it too! :) hv a rollicking weekend!

Swapna said...

The cheese puffs and glass of wine looking gorgeous!!!! will definitely try this one!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow....ur cheese puffs look divine!

FH said...

Seema, thanks, hopr you try this evening!:)

Purni, thanks so much. Just a privacy issue which bothers lot of bloggers! Many still have it, hope they take it out too!:)
Enjoy, and yes,I will make Éclairs one day if some event fits it or at FH. Have a great Sunday!:)

FH said...

Swapna, great tasting Gougeres, specially with red Wine, makes a great combo for a relaxing evening or for parties, enjoy!:)

Thanks HC, hope you try it too!:))

Raaga said...

I have to try these cheese puffs... I hope I have the patience :-) I'm back Ashakka... after rappeling, rock climbing, lake swimming and kayaking :-)

FH said...

WOW!! Raaga, you have had some fun girl! Sounds exciting, I have never done any of those!:D
Batter is easy and quick to make, baking takes time, hope you try!:)

bha said...

the cheese puffs look delish...french uhh

KonkaniBlogger said...

Great click and love the cheese puffs, could eat them all up...Matki Pulav seems good to pack for lunch..

FH said...

Hi Bha, just came home and here to post for your event. Yeah, Cheese puffs and Wine, what more could you want? ;D

Will ship ASAP Maya!:D
Pulao is packed wit nutrition, great for lunch!:)

Namratha said...

Cheese Puffs always make me drool, they look gr8 Asha!

J said...

I think I piled on a bit just looking at those cheese puffs!! :) Have a nice day! :)

FH said...

Thanks Nams, hope you try. I saw your post today, will visit you tomorrow!:)

Hi J, glad you liked it girl, very very cheesy!:D

Unknown said...

That matki beans looks a must try!! Matki pulav looks very healthy and tasty.
Cheese puffs looks crunchy outside and soft and gooey inside:) Wow I have seen this on food network prepared by Giada (she prepared it in muffin pan and called it pop-over, is it the same or different? .......I will try yours as it doesnt require muffin pans which I dont have :)

Deeba PAB said...

Hey Asha...I was in Blore for 5 years too...& these puffs belong to the instant bookmarking file. Precious little bites, savoury & cheesy! Nice appetizers indeed!

FH said...

Roopa, Pop overs are fatter, English call then Cheese puffs but very similar to this. Yeah, you can drop them in the muffin tin!:)

Deeba,got to make Éclairs girl, used to buy them a lot in B'lore. I don't think I get the same taste, but to try!:))
Puffs are yum, try.

Archy said...

Wow, Gorgeous pic of wine and cheese puffs !!

I always droll on ur yummy recipe pics but if its with egg I think 'oh no'!!

Pls do tell some tips to make these cheese puffs without eggs!! My eyes are still drolling on cheese puffs!!

FH said...

Archy, thanks girl! There are some recipes you can replace Egg with apple sauce etc but I don't think you can replace here since Eggs make this puff like balloons.
You know, you do get Egg replacer at the grocery store which is not egg but it has the same textue. Try with that, they keep it where they keep Yogurt and milk or ask them. Hope it works, these puffs are really good!:)