Masala (Spiced) Potato Bread is my entry to "Bread Baking Day #04", an event started by Zorra of "kochtopf". This month's host is Manuela from "Baking History" with a theme of Bread and Spices. Thanks for hosting manuela!:)
About this bread:
Ever since I baked sweet molasses Buns, I was craving for some spicy bread to bake. When I saw baking history's event at Zorra's, I knew this spicy bread would be perfect for the event! It does take a little time to prep and bake this bread but believe me, it's worth every second once it's done and ready to eat!:D
Masala means spices in Hindi. This Potato bread is spiced up with sauteed Potatoes, onions, Bell peppers, Green chillies, cumin seeds and ginger. Makes a great snack or brunch, slightly warmed and served with garlic butter or to eat on it's own at room temperature. Tastes better the next day at room temperature. Store the bread in the fridge if you are keeping it for more than two days and warm in the microwave when needed. Toasting in a upright toaster doesn't work with this bread for some reason. Enjoy!:)
For non-vegetarians: you can add crumbled sausages with masala too or you can add Ham with bread slices to make delicious sandwiches!
Masala Potato Bread:
A close up of a slice!
You Need these:
If you need to bake a smaller loaf, cut this recipe into half and bake in a smaller loaf pan.
3 cups plain flour (Bread flour or regular)
1 cup Wheat flour
1 tsp Wheat Gluten(Optional but helps to rise bread well)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp active dried yeast
3/4 to 1 cup warm milk (do not add all the milk at once, use as much as you want)
1/4 cup melted butter or 1/2 stick of butter
2 eggs, beaten.
To make Potato masala, you need:
2 tsp oil,
1 tsp Cumin seeds,
1 large grated or finely cubed red waxy Potato,
1/3 cup grated or minced red onion,
1/4 minced Green bell pepper,
1-2 Green chillies, minced or 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp grated Fresh ginger
1/2 tsp Cumin pd,
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder,
1/4 tsp salt,
2 tbsp minced Cilantro.
2 tbsp Milk to brush on top of the bread before baking
or Egg wash (1 egg+1 tsp water)
A non-stick 6" by 10 1/2" loaf pan sprayed with no-stick oil.
How to bake the bread:
Make the masala Potato first:
1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds. When they are reddish, add all the minced Potato,onion, peppers, chillies, ginger, turmeric and saute until they soft and cooked. Do not add water.
2. Add cumin powder,cilantro, salt(Do not add too much salt,just enough to bring out the taste of the veggies!). Take off the heat and cool the mixture.
Now make the dough:
1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl or KitchenAid with dough hook. Mix well. Heat milk for 40 secs in the MW or until it's between 115 to 125F. Melt butter in a separate bowl.Beat Eggs.
2. With machine on low, add the butter first, then milk and then Eggs and mix well until everything gathers in a slightly sticky mass. If too thin, add 1-2 tbsp flour, too dry, add little milk.
3. Now add dry and cooled Potato masala, mix just until they are well mixed in the dough. Add this dough to oiled loaf pan, cover and let it rise until double or for 1 hour in a warm place. I warm the oven at 170F and turn off the heat. Then keep the loaf pan covered inside for an hour or so.
4. When doubled, take out the loaf pan out of the oven, score or cut 3-4 slashes on the bread with a sharp knife and brush the top of the loaf with either milk or egg wash. Sprinkle some paprika on top for color if you like.
Preheat the oven to 375F with a thin cookie sheet inside to prevent burning the bottom of the bread loaf too much.
Put the loaf pan in on the cookie sheet and bake for 25-30mins or until the a knife inserted comes out clean. Don't let it brown too much. Take out, cool it on a cooling rack. When cold, slice with serrated knife and serve as it is or warmed in the MW with a little garlic butter.
Enjoy. Have a great weekend, see you next week!:))