February 12, 2008

THALIPEETH, A PROTEIN PACKED BREAKFAST!!


Nutritious Thalipeeth is my contribution to Suganya from "Tasty Palettes", who is hosting WBB this month with "Healthy Eats" theme. "Weekend Breakfast blogging" event is the baby of Nandita from "Saffron Trail". Thank you for hosting Suganya!:)


Thalipeeth:
Thalipeeth means "hand patted" as far as I know since it is hand patted directly on the Tawa/griddle, is a kadak roti ( crisp flatbread) and a deliciously spicy one at that. They are a popular delicacy in Maharashtra.
Having born and raised in and around Mysore, Bangalore and Hassan, I was not familiar with Thalipeeth at all until we went to live in Hubli where I went to High school, which is in north of Karnataka. One day after my friend and I went back home from school, I stopped by her house.While I waited for her, she gave me a piece of brown stiff roti to eat, which puzzled me at first and then I loved the spicy taste like Sesame crackers. That' was my first Thalipeeth experience!! After I told my mom about it, she paid our maid to make them for us once a week until we left Hubli!!

When Suganya asked us to make some "healthy Eats" for breakfast, I thought of this nutritious all in one Thalipeeth. Although you can eat these as they are, you can serve with plain yogurt (for my kids) or some pickle or chutney on the side. With multiple flours and spices, they make a tasty treat, which you can heat up in the morning.
As you know we don't eat Indian breakfast anymore, so these were our dinner served with onion-tomato chutney. I added many vegetables to it and cooked them a little softer than the regular Thalipeeth should be, since kids don't like very crisp rotis! I did save a few to make them crisp just for myself though! :D

Thalipeeth, served with Bitter Gourd pickle:
Aren't they beautiful to look at? It may not be traditional ingredients but I added Soy flour, grated Beets, Carrots and Green Peas...well, everything but the kitchen sink..to make them even more nutritious. Bitter Gourd pickle went fabulously with sweet and spicy Thalipeeth.


To make them, you need these:

1/4 cup each of these flours;
Soy flour,
Chickpea flour (Besan),
Rice flour,
Maize flour aka Cornmeal,
Wheat flour,
Rajgaro flour,(do not know what kind of flour is this but I have it! Replace it with Bajra flour if you want)
Rava/Semolina/Cream of wheat,
Grated Carrots,
grated Beetroot,
crushed Green Peas.(frozen is okay too)



3 tbsp plain yogurt,
1 tbsp Sesame seeds,
1" grated Ginger,
1/2 tsp Garlic powder,
1 tsp each of Garam masala and Coriander seeds powder,
1 tsp Cumin seeds,
1/2 tsp Carom/ Ajwain seeds,
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes or chilli pd,
salt and pepper (crushed),
Dry Coriander leaves or fresh,
1 tsp Kasoori methi (dry Fenugreek leaves)
and dry mint leaves.

To make them:
1. Mix all the above to a stiff dough, not soft dough like Chapati dough, brush some oil on the dough, cover and let it rest for 15-20mins.
2. Meanwhile, take a foil, and spray no-stick oil lightly. Heat a Tawa/griddle. Divide the dough into Golf ball size rounds if you want small ones like I made or Tennis ball size if you want them bigger.
3. Roll out with non-stick rolling pin or pat with your hand like I did which you might have to do it too, since dough don't have much gluten like Chapati dough. (if you want to roll them easy, you will have to add more wheat flour to the dough).
4. I cut the patted Thalipeeth into 4" circles with a cookie cutter. Baked them on the Tawa until reddish on both sides with little oil drizzled on top and bottom.
5. Cool and serve with yogurt, any pickle or chutney.

Note: For crisp traditional Thalipeeth, skip the veggies, cook them on medium heat for a long time until they really get dry and crisp. Cool and store in an air tight container. You might bake in the oven too.

Soy flour: A great tip for vegetarians who do not want to use Eggs in any recipe, specially when baking cakes and it provides sackful of healthy plant protein as well!

Replace one egg with 1 tablespoon soy flour and 1 tablespoon water.
(1 Egg= 1 tbsp Soy flour+1 tbsp water)

One more look:


Enjoy a healthy breakfast!:))

64 comments:

amna said...

wow! that looks good. my mom makes sweet wheat-jaggery pancakes in this way, patted with hand. looks yummy and the ingredients list sure makes it healthy!! thank god you spared the kitchen sink :D

Finla said...

Never heard or ate Thalipeeth. The way you have explained the taste i want tohave them.
The color is so beautiful, must be from the beetroot.
We too don't have indian breakfast.
Every morning it is a toast bread with something on it.
My sister is visitng us in April/may so i was telling her she better bring all her breakfast food with her :-))

Altoid said...

I made ragi rotti this weekend :-). Will try this now. Aside, upon your reco, I read Monsoon Diary. Loved it, specially the Memoir with recipes part. And could relate to a lot of the author's childhood.

Enjoy!
-altoid

Anonymous said...

Hi Asha,
thalipeeth looks delicious.2 weeks back i saw the same in khana khazana on zee t v. the chef used sago along with potatoes, peanuts, green chillies.jeera and cilantro.

thanks
shalini

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Loooks yummy!!!! i know sabudana talipeeth. But yours is totally different & healthy too.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

That's what I love about visiting your blog, Asha. You dazzle me with beautiful food and always teach me something new. Now I know what thalipeeth is, and I can always use another protein packed breakfast. Thanks for a delicious post!

Seema said...

Great looking Thalipeeth Asha! Loved the colour on each on.. You got them all so perfectly round...Mine are anything but round :-( Loved the presentation & Karela pickle with it must have been yum! What a super nutritious Breakfast.

Laavanya said...

I've not had these before but they look so delicious. Nice colour - guess because of the beets.

Purnima said...

Asha, looks super healthy stack! I did make thalipeeth from a ready mix few years ago!

Daily Meals said...

Never heard of tahlipeeth. Looks healthy and yummy with bitter gaurd pickle.

Priya said...

That looks so yummy and nutritious.

FH said...

Thank you Naga, F, Altoid, Shalini. enjoy.

Shalini, thanks for the recipe too, sounds great, will make it!:))

FH said...

Mala, Susan, Seema, Laavanya, thanks girls.

Color is beacause of the Beets, tastes great too with a sweetish hint with the spicy!:)

Seema, use a 4-6" cookie cutter for perfect rounds my secret!;D

FH said...

Purnima, Vijaya, Priya, enjoy the healthy and tasty Thalipeeth!:))

Anonymous said...

I have never seen nor heard about this..This looks worth a try....

Pooja V said...

This is so common in my house. I love the taste of it. We make it with a little variation if you would like the recipe then mail me.

Pooja V said...

I loved adding veggies to thalipeeth.

TBC said...

Looks great, Asha! Love the color.:-)

FH said...

Rachel, Pooja, tbc enjoy the Thalipeeth!:)

Pooja, I will e mail you later. Love to get the authentic Thalipeeth recipe!:))
(Hey Pooja, I couldn't find your email in your blog!)

Jayashree said...

It sure does look good, Asha.....so when are you going to post the recipe for the bittergourd pickle???

sra said...

Asha, felt a pang when you mentioned your school days in Hubli, just like that, thinking about childhood. I love the first pic of the stacked thalipeeth.

bee said...

love this dish, though we've never made it. yours looks very inviting.

FH said...

Jaya, I use Swad Pickle masala to add to all my homemade pickles. This pickle is store bought, "Priya" brand, really tasty!:)

sra, that's why I read more books like "food memoirs with recipes" these days!:D
Wonderful to know other's memories associated with their childhood experiences and food!:)

Thanks Bee, hope you try.These are as healthy as they come!:)

Suganya said...

Asha, The colour just pops out. I can't take my eyes off. Thanks for this gorgeous entry :)

vimmi said...

Oh that looks just great Ashaji. The pile of thalipeeth waiting to be dug in. My inlwas are goan-maharastrian, so this is a common breakfast when I go to India. They dont add any veggies though. This is a healthier version.

Rajguro is an atta which we have during fasting. Especially during navaratri, mom makes puries out of these. just add boiled potoatoes and make a dough, make a little thick puris out of these and deep fry. they taste yummy.

Mishmash ! said...

I dont know where i first read about this...wonder if it was at Sia's or have u written about it earlier...? anyway, now i want to taste this....wish someone could make this for me !!

Hey, thanks a lot for telling me about the Zorra's event...i sent my last post for that..:)

Shn

Namratha said...

Looks hearty and delicious!!

Sagari said...

wow so many flours ashaji ,looks yummmm

Mansi said...

wow, that sure looks really tasty Asha! its got all the flours in it, and the spices that go in there look amazing!:)

FH said...

You are welcome Suganya, glad to make them for you!:)

Vimmi, the real Thalipeeth taste like a crispy crackers, yummy.I just threw in some veggies too.
Thanks for Rajgaro info, I still have plenty of that flour left, I will make Pooris,sounds great!:))

shn, most Marathi and North K'taka bloggers have these Thalipeeth I guess, they are most loved rotis there with different variations. Try it once!:))

FH said...

Namratha, Sagari, Mansi thanks girls. Enjoy the colorful Thalipeeth!:))

Veggies add a bit of moisture to the otherwise crisp rotis, my own style Thalipeeth!:D

Richa said...

the stack of thalipeeth looks so tempting :) i get a pack of mixed flour from back home, but that lasts about a week!!!

FH said...

Mixed flours sounds great Richa, makes it easy cook Thalipeeth. I have to buy about 5-6 types of flours to make these!:D

Kalai said...

I *love* the color of this dish! Never heard of it before, but this is really one stop shopping for grains and nutrients, huh?! Great post, Ashakka! :)

TheCooker said...

Loved your variation to a much liked traditional dish.
The beetroot gave it a wonderful colour.

Red Chillies said...

Thalipeeth looks amazing. What I know as Thalipeeth is simply rice flour with onions and corrinader leaves. This has everything 'but the kitchen sink' but in a super healthy way. Is there any flour or vegetable that you have missed :-))

Pravs said...

totally a new thing for me. you have done it so well.

Chickoo said...

Lovely recipe, I also loved your Gujarathi thali, looks splendid! Nale inda aa thalili irodella try madbeku :).

Lakshmi said...

What a healthy breakfast Ashakka. Loved it.

ServesYouRight said...

Yum! I heart Thaalipeeth :-)

Rajgaro flour is amaranth flour in the US (rajgir chikki is basically popped amaranth brittle :-)

Can't wait to make thaalipeeth!
Smita

Srivalli said...

Asha, those look fabulous....I have never made these, those I have many recipes with variations!...nice to see them slacked on like that...makes us want to grab off the screen!..:D

EC said...

so nutritious and i see u have added so many ingredients for make it healthy to the maximum .

Sia said...

do i love this or what! thats such a gorgeous colour ashakka. beets really add colour to any dish and also to vessals and chopping board;) looks like we both have similar memories when it comes to thalipeth. do u remember my post on thalipeth? :) its when i was in dharwad i tasted it for the first time and fell in love with it. i am gonna add veggies next time when i make them:) once again lovely recipe big sis:) u rock!

FH said...

Kalai, it is all in one meal, isn't it?:)

TC, adding veggies makes it a wholesome meal, can keep them one or two days!:)

HeHe!! RC, they are yummy made this way. Just with flours makes it storable for a long time, these are great for dinner!:)

FH said...

Thanks Pravs, try them for weekend brunch!:)

Chickoo, avarekalu Bhaat at FH is really tasty and easy too, try it!:)

Thanks lg, hope you try girl!:)

Smita, that is great to know girl,thanks. Amaranth flour! Never knew that, it must very healthy. I know it tastes wonderful in Rotis.I will try Vimmi's recipe with that. Thalipeeth( my style!) is wonderfully tasty, do try!:))

FH said...

Sri, please make few of these and post. I know just two, one with just flours and spices and this way. Love to have others too, they are pretty healthy to have.Hope you do!:)

EC, more the better. 1/4 cup of anything you can think of would be great and makes satisfying meal too!:)

I know you would like this Sups, great for freezing too. I haven't seen your Thalipeeth, will see now. Somebody told me Y'day you have it too, can't wait to see it. I would really like authentic recipe for Thalipeeth as they make it Maharashtra(without my style with veggies!):))

Latha said...

Thalipeet looks yummy Asha! Great entry! Jazz it up like u did and how nutritious! We lived in Hubli for a while - loved eating these with the curd and chilli spicy side!

FH said...

Khara chutney will taste good too with these Latha although it has spices already. I went to Lamington girls High school there for 2 yrs, I love Hubli, beautiful city and people too!:))

Rina said...

Loved your new look Ashaji... Thanks for the Thalipeeth receipe.. I have some plans to make a saagu and potatoe thaelipeeth.

FH said...

Ooh, Potato Thalipeeth and saagu, sounds great. Hope you post them too!:))
Happy V day to you Rina.

Archana Doshi said...

Looks delicious. I also like the variations in the ingredients it has to offer. Very nice. A sue keeper. BTW, great pictures!

Mona said...

That looks really mouthwatering & spicy! :)

Happy Valentine's day Asha! To you & your's

FH said...

Thank you Archana and Mona. Enjoy the Valentine's day!:))

krystyna said...

Hi Asha!
That breakfast looks delicious and beautiful. I like this color.
And thanks Asha for your inform.
Good to know about
replace one egg with 1 tablespoon soy flour and 1 tablespoon water.
(1 Egg= 1 tbsp Soy flour+1 tbsp water). I didn't know about it.
I don't like eggs too much.

Have a wonderful day!

Suganya said...

Hi Asha....This sounds so different...Love the picture.....Nice colour...

FH said...

Hi Krystyna, soy flour is also very nutritious, so not a bad idea to add instead of Eggs!:)

Thanks Sukanya, hope you try them!:)

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

oh wow! love the stack, Ashakka..... tumba chennagi kantha ide

KonkaniBlogger said...

I keep hearing of thalipeeth so many times, but never tasted or made it. Ur pic looks great, all stacked and with great colour. Yummmy...

FH said...

Thanks Ramya and Maya. Beet and Carrot make them attractive and nutritious, hope you try!:)

Annu said...

Asha you are really great.Nice Pan cakes.By the way how to enroll

FH said...

Hi Annu, click on the sidebar event link and read the rules. Then go to oyur e mail,do as they instruct with URL and photo and send it them. Let me know if you have any qs!:)

Anjali Koli said...

A good twist to the traditional Asha. The Rajgiro (gujarati) flour is made from Rajgira (marathi) seed, its a kind of a millet used for fasting foods. Its low in carb and high in calcium. Rajgira ladu is very popular, it is made by popping rajgira seeds to get tiny popcorns and mixed with jaggery and shaped into ladu. Just like puri/kurmura ladu.

FH said...

Oh, like puri laadu, that sounds great!I didn't know what it was when I picked up the pack, any grain flour is good for you anyway.
I have never seen Rajgiri seeds but loved the flour poories mixed with alu. Thalipittu tastes great too with this flour!:)

Shruti J said...

Looks so tempting!!!

Was looking for some recipe n redirected to your page :) Lovely space you have... Happy to connect!!!

Visit me @ www.cookingwithsj.com