January 23, 2009

Jalapeño Bajji, Onion Pakoras and a homemade masala (Saarina pudi) powder

Hot and spicy Jalapeno Bajjis goes to Pallavi of "All things yummy" blog's event "Sunday snacks-Hot and spicy" . Bonus Onion Pakoras go to her too!

A versatile Saarina pudi/Sambhar powder
taken from my mom's recipe book goes to Smitha of "Kadumanga" blog's event "Colors of taste-Sambhar, Rasam Powders". I can't wait for this 'Powders' round up, just think of so many masala powders in one place! YAY!

Thanks to both of you, enjoy hosting! :))

Jalapeño Bajji:

Here is a quick fix for all those boring cold winter weekends with nowhere to go and nothing to do expect to sit next to the fireplace and watch TV! :D

How to make them:
1. You need about 6-8 Jalapenos, cut into 2" pieces, scoop out the seeds and mix them all in 2 tsp lemon juice and salt. Let it soak for 15 mins and take out the Jalapeno pieces on a paper towel.
2. Make to batter:
Mix 1/2 cup Besan/Chickpea flour, 1/4 cup rice flour, pinch of turmeric, pinch of baking soda, enough chilli pd, salt, 1/2 tsp each of cumin seeds pd and coriander seeds pd, 1/4 tsp Ajwain seeds, crushed(optional) and 1 tbsp hot oil. Add enough water to make a thickish batter like pancake batter so batter sticks to Jalapenos when dipped. Let it rest for 10mins.

3. Heat enough oil to deep fry about 360F. When ready, dip Jalapenos and drop carefully in the oil. Fry until golden and crisp. Drain on the paper towel.

Since Jalapenos are hot and spicy enough, you might want to serve them with Ketchup or yogurt dip or just as they are.

Onion Pakodas/Pakoras:

More munchies! I love these than those hot and spicy Jalapeno bajjis!!
If there is any of the above batter left after using the chillies, which I always have some left,
I add chopped onion, grated ginger, chilli flakes or green chillies minced, some cilantro, crushed coriander seeds, curry leaves, sometimes potato pieces or any veggies I can get my hands on to the batter and deep fry until golden, dropping them in small portions with a spoon or using your finger tips into the oil. These Pakodas can be served with coconut chutney. Enjoy! :))


*********************************************************************************************************************

Sambhar/Saarina pudi/versatile masala powder to add to any gravy:

My mother gets a big jarful of saaru/Sambhar powder from her MIL (my Mysore ajji) every year, which is made once a year in large quantity and distributed to all her sons' and daughters' homes. This powder is used to make everyday Saaru/Sambhar and usually added to veggie side dishes as well.
And then, on top of that powder, my mother makes this simple Sambhar powder which I am giving you here. It's versatile, can be added to any vegetarian dishes which makes the gravy thicker (which is the way my kids like Sambhars, no thin rasam for them! :D) since it has dals, along with some other spice pd if you like. I make some of these every 3 mnts or so and keep it in my pantry. Here it goes!

Saarina Pudi/Sambhar powder:

To make Sambhar powder:
This makes about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of powder and it will last about 2 mnts if you keep it in the airtight bottle in the dry cool pantry, can last for more mnts if kept in the fridge. Keeping it in the plastic jars are not recommended.

Roast each of these separately until crisp and cool them before grinding:
1 cup Coriander seeds,
5 tbsps Channa dal,
2 1/2 tbsps Urad dal,
3 tbsp Cumin seeds,
10 dry red chilles,
5" Cinnamon stick (Dalchini),
1/4 cup dry dessicated grated coconut. Roast until reddish, cool. Do not burn it.
(Do not use fresh coconut)
Add 1 tsp Turmeric powder and 1 tsp Paprika for color just before you grind the above ingredients, do not roast the Turmeric pd unless you are using a dry piece of root Turmeric.

Grind these to smooth powder after they are cooled completely

Tendli masala/Tondekai sambhar, thicker version:
I wanted to show you how I use this powder in making this dish, using Tendlis/Tondekai in Kannada. You can use this powder in any vegetable side dish as well, tastes great.


How to:
1. In a pressure cooker, add 1 tbsp oil and heat. Add in 1 tbsp Chana dal, 1 tsp mustard seeds, curry leaves, 1 dry red chilli, 1 small onion, finely chopped, 1 garlic.

2. When they are reddish in color, add chopped Tendlis and stir fry for 1 minute. Add 2 cups of water, 1/2 cup Tuar dal, close the lid, pressure cook on low heat for 2 mins. Cool the cooker and open the lid.
3. Add 1/2 tsp tamarind paste, salt, 1 tbsp (or more to your taste) masala pd shown above, simmer gently. Adjust the water if it's too thick, and adjust salt and chilli pd.
4. When the gravy is thickish, add 1 tsp of ghee and chopped cilantro.

It's ready to eat. I always make any Indian gravy dish a day early and keep it in the fridge, so the flavors will mingle overnight. Serve this sambhar with rice, parathas or Dosas.

That's it. Have a great weekend, see you all on Monday!!:))

43 comments:

EC said...

I just love the Karnataka style sambar podi...its just a week since we made bajji and ur pics are tempting me to make them again...

Finla said...

I love that thinck sambar.
And that jalapeno bajji looks so yumm and spicy.
We don't get here in the super market, i have seen sometimes in Indian shops, next time if they have i am gonna buy them.
Actully it is ages ago i made bajjis.

Suganya said...

Hi Asha....
Jalapeno Bajji is the highlight in this set of recipes. Looks so spicy. Love it so much. YUM!.... Nice idea to used the leftover bajji batter. Saarina podi sounds new to me, will try it soon....

FH said...

Haha!! I know these Bajjis are very tempting wherever you see them, darn bajjis! :D

F, I have been frying too much these days because of the bitter cold here,I have got to stop girl! :D

Sukanya, with dals in the Saarina pudi, it makes the gravy thicker. It is a bit different from the usual, hope you try! :))

Laavanya said...

The jalapeno bajjis would be perfect to beat these winter blues.. My parents always made pakoras with the leftover bajji batter too :)
I'm such a huge fan of sambhar and slurp it up plain.. podi looks vibrant and beautiful.

Sunshinemom said...

Like EC said I too like the Kannada style sambar podi, and sometimes I use bisibelebath podi instead as it tastes even better. Your podi looks yum! The jalapeno bajjis must have been real spicy! I think I will settle for onion pakoras - they are my fave!

ranji said...

OH i love mulagu bajji..my fav along with cold badam milk..my mouth is already watering talking abt it :)...i use banana peppers for this and also add a pinch of asafoetida..its simply gives a boost of flavor to the batter...love ur onion pakoras too...
saarina pdr looks versatile..i can see myself making 2-3 types dishes with it...lovely!!!

FH said...

Laavanya, thanks. Yeah, why waste a perfectly good leftover batter, right? I dip onion rings and Potato slices too, whatever is at hand! :))


Thanks H, BBB pd is also versatile pd, can use in any side dishes too. Jalapenos become a bit mild when soaked in lemon juice, but still HOT!:D

Ranji, I used homegrown Banana peppers once to make Bajjis, they nearly killed me, very very hot! :D
Hing addition sounds great, I will add it next time, thanks for the tip. That's why I love blogging, you get learn so many new things! Have a great weekend!:)

sra said...

The statement about your Mysore ajji making sambar powder for the family reminds me - even now, in my home, mango pickle is made in huge vats, to be distributed among my mother's siblings ...

Pavithra Kodical said...

Bajji and pakora i love to have them.

Thank you so much for Saarina pudi recipe..Evattu ammanege phone madona antha ankonde saarina pudi hege madodhu antha kelalikke.

Pavani said...

Lovely munchies.. I'm always searching for new pakoda recipes and these jalapeno bajji look perfect. May be I can make them this weekend!!!! only if I had jalapenos on hand..

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

though i have made onion bhajjis, never tried this jalapeno bajji at home. will buy some next time and make them. pakodas look lovely too Asha.

Cham said...

Jalapeno bajji send the whole plate! The sambar powder is different! Delicious podi!
Have a great weekend!

KonkaniBlogger said...

Wow, both the bajjis look great Asha..Bajjis are welcome anytime and everytime. I like to add ajwain in the batter, tastes good. Your saarina pudi and tendli dish looks great. I will try the next time that I get tendli.

Preety said...

hey i love sambhar powder , it does enhance flavour of many dishes..nice recipe though..and also gr8 enties for the event..here its raining for last two days so those snacks are perfect to munch anytime in this season

krystyna said...

Hi Asha,
I got a great idea from you for this weekend. I'm going to use your Jalapenos recipe
and use of course the left bajji batter too.

Thank you so much!

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hello Asha,
jalapeno bajji looks very tempting and the tendli sambhar is different.

shalini

FH said...

sra, I think that's so true with most grandparents. They make and share so much. Unfortunately, next generation don't keep up with that tradition, get busy with their own lives and forget all the wonderful things which really matter!
I used to get that powder too even when we moved to USA, but now uncles and aunts don't care that much! Now, I am on my own! :P

Pavithra, there you go! Got your akka here to help you! :D
I also have a good Rasam powder at FH too, search for it on the side bar. Hope you share your amma's powder too, its a great event! :))

Pavani, you can use any chillies as long as it's a bit larger. Jalapenos are quite spicy. Hope you try! :)

FH said...

Thanks Mahimaa. I tried with Banana peppers Bajjis once, believe me, I saw stars when I bit into them! :D

Cha, it's a bit different indeed, makes thick gravy, do try. Have a fun weekend too. Hugs! :)

Maya, I add ajwain to gatti Pakodas, tastes great, don't they? I get Tendlis only when I go to Indian store which is like once in 3 mnts! :D

FH said...

Preety, rain and cold weather, both are great time to do some frying! :D

Krystyna, thanks. Are you sure you can handle the spicy Jalapenos? Be careful! But they are great to munch when you have so much snow all around you!:))

Hi Shalini, try the sambhar powder, you might like it. Great for side dishes, palya as we call it. Have a fun weekend! :))

AnuSriram said...

Jalapeno Bajji looks so tempting just like your delicious onion bhajjis. Your sambar powder has got a very good colour. Nice entries!

Deepthi Shankar said...

wow all those bajjis yummm .. Iam craving for them now .. I totally in love with oue very own saarina pudi yumm

FH said...

Anu, few months ago, I bought dry turmeric root from a Nashville store. I powder that to add here, that's why the beautiful color and also it smells so good too and paprika adds a nice color!:)

Thanks Deesha, hope you try girl. Homemade powders are always best, if we have time, that's the way to do! :))

Usha said...

The jalapeno bajji looks spicy and yum, perfect for cold and wintry evenings...loved the flavors used in your sambar powder, I am looking forward to trying it sometime :-)

FH said...

Do try Usha, I usually use this masala pd in everyday cooking! :))

Ashwini said...

Jalapeno bajjis look yummmmm. love spicy bhajjis. left over pakoras or bhajji are always yummm.
Love your tondekai sambar..different from what we make...
It is 80 deg here in dallas today. Whole week was very good. weekend is getting chill. will make jalapeno bhajjis...

Manju said...

could u pls send me some of thos bajjis plsss...

Purnima said...

Wonderful bajjis n loved ur sambhar..feels really nice to see your mom's sambhar-pwdr recipe! How beautifully the thick sambhar's turned! Love tendley in any form! Bookmarked! :D Hv a great wkend!

Divya Kudua said...

Hmm..Jalapeno bajji sounds so interesting..Spicy and crispy..would love to have it on Sundays or rather..anyday!!My mom makes home-made sambhar powder too..looks delicious(and I love thick sambhar)!!

Raks said...

Jalapeno Bajji's and onion pakoras look so cool Asha! and you have showed them gettting fried in kadai with that laddle...so tempting to make some now!
Thick sambhar,i am hearing for first time:) Looks nice!

FH said...

A, 80F there!! WOW!! While we are freezing our backsides, you are having fun!!Lucky you!! :))

Okay chef, coming over with them! ;D

Hope you try Purni, it's yum. Goes well with chapatis too if you make the gravy thicker!:)

FH said...

Divya, hope you post your mom's pd too, more the merrier! :))

I know, Raks! Looking at the frying pics makes you hungry and crave for some, doesn't it? Happens to me all the time looking at other's posts too! :D

J said...

The mango pickle my grandma makes is in great demand and she distributes more than she keeps for herself!

FH said...

J, I can imagine the taste of grandma's pickle. Those brown and cream huge Pickle jars, Jadis as we call them, makes me so nostalgic when I see them here! :))

Uj said...

Loved the karanataka style saarina pudi.. I never make any ready mix powders at home. I got some sambar powder from Udupi Diana.. It tastes heavenly. Other masala mum's made so many packets of it that I never got chance to make some. Yours looks yummy.. bhajji's look yummy too.. I too made some cauli bhajji's yest!

Vibaas said...

jalapeno bajji looks so yum. bet it was very spicy.

Unknown said...

i loved the sambar powder recipe..am going to make and store it..will be useful when you have little time for cooking..

notyet100 said...

still to try Jalapeno Bhaji,,..pudi recipe sounds good,.nd son does tindi masala,..:-)Happy Republic DAY,,,AND Y WAITIN FOR UR NEXT POST....ENJOY CEEU SOON,,,

Jaishree Iyer said...

These Bajjis are very tempting.. Spicy and crispy. Love your tondekai sambar.All recepies r Looks& great, delicious..

FH said...

Uj, aren't you lucky to get mum's pudis!! I used to get every year until my grandma died few yrs ago. After that I am on my own!

Vibaas, with seeds out and soaked in Lemon juice, Jalapenos are tolerable. I do get stomach ache if I eat too spicy food! :))

Sowmya, do try. It's handy when you need a quick side dishes, works well with Sambhar and palyas too! :)

FH said...

Hi Priyanka, just posted one for you, loaded with sugar for sweeties! Enjoy!! :D

Thanks Jaishree. Sambhars are comfort for me, makes you warm on winter days and remind you of home!!:))

anudivya said...

If only I lived closer to your place! Man, that is some serious stuff... I love anything spicy, and am somewhere on the Level 5 :)
I love love the bajji, and they look so cute!

FH said...

Level 5? This suits you perfect, leave the seeds on! I tried Banana peppers once which are hotter than these, I had a stomach ache for a day! :D

But they do taste delicious once they are fried though, lot milder. If you want level 8 or 9, you must try Mexican Habanero chillies! AHHH...!!!